Where is the Tax Centre button?

Options
I bought the starter version to help track our family finances. I don't have a lot of investments and such, and so I didn't really need anything more than a basic version. But when I try and enter paycheque information I can't find the tabs or sections as described in the help section. Specifically, I can't see the "Tax Centre" button that is supposed to be under the planning tab. Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Frankly the "choices" they made for each given edition seem "strange" and even "inconsistent", but it is what it is.

But why do you have to have the Tax Centre to enter paycheque information?
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to find.

That should just be a tax line on the category.
    Edit the category (Tools -> Category List, select category and then right click -> Edit)
    And then there should be a Tax Reporting tab.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As usual, there is more than one way to get to where you need to be.
    When you go down the Tools / Manage Bills and Income Reminders path, click "Add" in the Menu bar to add a new income reminder.
    Do you have this (highlighted in yellow below) block of selectable text in your Canadian Starter version? This image was taken from my US version.
    This should allow you to enter a proper paycheque, with gross income and all deductions.
    If it's not available, you can always set up a regular income reminder with category splits for all income, deductions and transfers. It's more complicated to do, but it can be done.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have never seen the Starter version of Quicken Canadian Windows, but there are Starter, Deluxe, and Home & Business.  If everything to do with your finances was in Starter version then there wouldn't be any purpose for the Deluxe version.

Note that the help isn't separated out by the "edition" so you are most likely seeing features described from the higher editions.

In reality you should count yourself lucky because of the history. Your Starter edition has access to even investment and loan accounts.  On the US side the only account types are restricted to checking, savings, credit card, and cash.
    Signature:
  • RobPappin
    RobPappin Member
    Options
    So are you saying the ability or function to input paycheque information is not included as a feature in the Starter Version? And it then begs the question that if I can track investments and loans (which seem to be more advanced features) why not a paycheque?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Frankly the "choices" they made for each given edition seem "strange" and even "inconsistent", but it is what it is.

But why do you have to have the Tax Centre to enter paycheque information?
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to find.

That should just be a tax line on the category.
    Edit the category (Tools -> Category List, select category and then right click -> Edit)
    And then there should be a Tax Reporting tab.

Signature:
  • RobPappin
    RobPappin Member
    Options
    Hi Chris...I agree with you. The choices they made for the editions does seem odd. This is what the Help menu tells you to do to set up a paycheque: "To set up a new paycheque, click the Planning tab, then click the Tax Centre button if it isn't already open. Click Add Paycheque, then enter the information Quicken requests." I have it set in my "Manage Bill and Income Reminders" I just thought it would be a more accurate way to track income tax, CPP, etc. Thanks for taking the time to help out. Best..Rob
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As usual, there is more than one way to get to where you need to be.
    When you go down the Tools / Manage Bills and Income Reminders path, click "Add" in the Menu bar to add a new income reminder.
    Do you have this (highlighted in yellow below) block of selectable text in your Canadian Starter version? This image was taken from my US version.
    This should allow you to enter a proper paycheque, with gross income and all deductions.
    If it's not available, you can always set up a regular income reminder with category splits for all income, deductions and transfers. It's more complicated to do, but it can be done.

• RobPappin
    RobPappin Member
    Options
    UKR you have answered my question exactly. I do have that highlighted bit of text and I am in there now setting up both my and my spouse's paycheque. I take my hat off to you for helping me with this. A thousand thank yous!
This discussion has been closed.