Can't download Voya Inst Plan Services - Retirement account - QWin

tfanguy
tfanguy Member ✭✭
Since the new year I have have been unable to download transactions or quotes for my retirement account at Voya. I have talked to Voya several times who have said they are looking into it. No solution yet. Does anyone else have this issue? I am getting the dreaded OL-293-A error that I have seen posted around June of 2020. Seems this issue is back (at least for me).
Tagged:

Best Answer

• tfanguy
    tfanguy Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Tried it this morning and it WORKED! Only took 3 months. Voya Inst Plan Services reappeared on the list of available financial institutions this morning. Put in my ID and password and it downloaded 120 days of transactions.

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @tfanguy

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I'm wondering here what might be causing it since I don't believe I've seen any other users have any difficulty with Voya recently. To start off here have you taken a look at the error article for the issue? If not I would recommend taking a look at it and see if we're able to make any progress.

https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-quicken-online-services-ol-293-or-ol-294

Once you get a chance let us know how it goes and if you're able to change anything. If not we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• tfanguy
    tfanguy Member ✭✭
    Hi,

Yes, I have deactivated and re-actived numerous times. No success. I have ran the quicken file validation tool which fixed a few errors. Still no success.

To access my account I am required to use my username with my employer suffix. i.e. "myusername@employer". Quicken finds my accounts on the Voya Inst Plan site, it just is unable to update balances, download transactions, and download quotes. The Voya help desk tells me quicken direct connect is supported by my employer. They say they are still looking into the issue. It's just really strange that it worked perfectly fine all of last year and now it does not. Any suggestions / ideas are very much appreciated.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @tfanguy

Thanks for the update. It could be that they're experiencing issues currently with the information you've provided. If that is the case there's not much to do besides wait for the connection to be repaired unfortunately. Hopefully if they're aware of the issue already it shouldn't take too much longer for it to be repaired. Let us know if you are able to find out any additional information.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • dmurad53
    dmurad53 Member ✭✭
    I just started to have issues downloading transactions from Voya to Quicken. Quick has been of no help and so far a chat with Voya support has not produced results.
  • Hayesjw
    Hayesjw Member ✭✭
    I am having this problem too with Voya. Just started happening yesterday, after their serves were down over the weekend. No help from Voya support but I alerted them to the issue.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    "The Voya help desk tells me quicken direct connect is supported by my employer. "
    I don't know if this is an outright lie ... or monumental stupidity by Voya.
    Your employer has NOTHING to do with the account download type.  That's entirely between Yoya and Quicken/Intuit.
    And, at least in the US, virtually all (if not in fact all) investment institutions download via Direct Connect ... which further undermines Voya's statement.
    Most likely, Voya changed something on their end ... and is unwilling to "fess up" about it.

[Update after a bit more research]
    Here's the FIDIR.TXT entry for Voya:
    zzz-Voya Institutional Plan Services    https://voyaretirement.voyaplans.com    855-663-8092    https://my.voya.com/voyassoui/index.html?domain=voyaretirement.voya.com    ACTIVE    401K&DIRECT
    NOTE the zzz prefix before the name.
    That means that VOYA decided to no longer support downloads into Q.  That Voya is no longer a "Participating Financial Institution"
    So, the statement by the Voya Help Desk can now definitively be classified as a lie, as it was Voya's actions that caused this and nothing that your employer did ... as this impacts ALL employers that use Voya.
    Go bug your employer to switch your plan to a financial institution that does support Quicken.   Vanguard and Fidelity NetBenefits are 2 that immediately come to mind, but there are MANY others.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• KRSheth
    KRSheth Member
    edited March 2021
    I am using Quicken Premier (Windows, Subscription version). I have ExxonMobil 401(k) account that I can access using Voya Institutional Plan Services ( https://my.voya.com/voyassoui/index.html?domain=xomsavings.voya.com#/login-pweb ) website. How do I add this account?
  • tfanguy
    tfanguy Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the info. What is the FIDIR.txt file? is that a quicken file? if so, i will contact them and ask them out the "zzz" and why they are not supporting direct download.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @KRSheth,

It doesn't seem as though that address is available in Quicken for either the Voya, or the ExxonMobile listings.  However I note that the following appears on the Q&A for the website address you posted above:

I suggest that you go to the site and review the information that they reference above.  Get back to us with any additional questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• KRSheth
    KRSheth Member
    Unfortunately – the instructions are:

Step 1 – Getting Started
    • Begin at the Quicken start-up screen on your desktop and click
    on Investing, then Investing Accounts then Add Account.
    • At the prompts, select 401(k) and 403(b) retirement plans from
    the list, then Voya Institutional Plan Services.
    • Enter your choice for a name for your plan account.
    • Click on the setup method you want to use – Online
    (recommended) or Manual. To keep going, click Next

While they worked for non-subscription version of Quicken few years ago, the new (subscription) version of Quicken does not prompt to select “401(k) and 403(b) retirement plans”. It directly jumps to financial institutions list, and Voya Institutional Plans is not one of the entry in that list – now.

- Kiran
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    See this thread re: Voya:
    Bottom Line ... Voya has chosen to no longer be a Participating Financial Institution and there's nothing that Q can do about that.

• KRSheth
    KRSheth Member
    That is a big disappointment that Voya has elected not to support Quicken. In another thread, I have reported issues I am having connecting Quicken to Wealthfront too. Surprisingly - I had no difficulty connecting couple of free software to any of the financial institutions. One would expect paid software to be better.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the Voya issue - I believe that (at least) some of the institutional plans that Voya administers are still on the current FIDIR listing (and there are a lot of them).  That doesn't necessarily mean that every Voya related account can be downloaded, but the fact that a plan specifically references Quicken, as shown above, leads me to believe that online services may be available.  

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• mtmurdock
    mtmurdock Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    What the question said.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Voya were merely "reconfiguring their servers", they wouldn't have needed to tell Q that they were dropping support for Q ... which is what the zzz prefix indicates.

• wbthomas
    wbthomas Member ✭✭
    I have been unable to update two Voya Institutional Plan Services accounts since 3/19. I have spoken to Quicken Support and they state that the problem is on Voya's end, and I believe them, since Voya Institutional Plan Services no longer appears as a supported financial institution on the list of accounts. According to Quicken, customers need to call Voya Customer Services and ask to escalate the call to a Manager, and explain that Voya needs to update its entry in the website for OFX Connectivity for Financial Institutions website at this address https://www.intuit.com/partners/fdp/implementation-support/ofx/ . I called Voya Customer Service yesterday and the agent didn't know what Quicken was and then tried to give me stock answers from Voya website about how to set up accounts in Quicken and troubleshooting by deleting the Voya accounts and then reentering, which won't work because Voya Institutional Plan Services (with or without the zzz- prefix) is no longer on the accounts list. I couldn't get the agent to escalate the call to a manager, but she did complete a ticket on which I spelled out the financial partners website that Voya needs to enter the correct information. More customers need to call Voya and ask that Voya correct its information on the OFX financial partner website above in order to get this fixed. Be insistent and it may get done sooner rather than later. (PS while I use a Mac I'm fairly sure the same problem is occurring with Windows users.)
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

• KRSheth
    KRSheth Member
    So, I was a Quicken user for many years, before they switched to yearly subscription model. Downloading transactions from Voya was a chronic problem, and I went thru' the same experience (Quicken telling me it is Voya issue, Voya declaring ignorance). Eventually I stopped using Quicken.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    What the answer said -
    the ZZZ indicates that Voya Retirement
    has terminated their contract for Quicken services
    08857    08857    08857    zzz-Voya Financial Partners, LLC    https://www.voyaretirementplans.com    ING Website   www.INGRetirementPlans.com    https://www.voyaretirementplans.com    ACTIVE    INVESTMENT&DIRECT 

10887    10887    10887    zzz-Voya Institutional Plan Services    https://voyaretirement.voyaplans.com    855-663-8092    https://my.voya.com/voyassoui/index.html?domain=voyaretirement.voya.com    ACTIVE    401K&DIRECT                 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    KRSheth said:
    That is a big disappointment that Voya has elected not to support Quicken. In another thread, I have reported issues I am having connecting Quicken to Wealthfront too. Surprisingly - I had no difficulty connecting couple of free software to any of the financial institutions. One would expect paid software to be better.
    For what it is worth, I have tried a few of the programs out there and what I have found is none of them are "perfect".  As in some can access certain financial institutions/accounts while another has a different mix.  And then there is always the "well it is down right now".

What I think people fail to understand is that given that the financial institutions won't adhere to any standards, this is always going to be hit and miss.  And to a user of XXX financial institution they could care less if every other financial institution is supported (not true of course), they want theirs to be supported.

And then there are the "supported features".  Say you find a program that supports all of your financial institutions (at least for "now"), then you are faced with does that program provide the services you want.  And different users want different features.

So certainly if you can find a better program for your use case for cheaper you should go for it.  But that isn't going to magically make Quicken support a financial institution when their service provider (Intuit) no longer supports them because of the way their process is setup.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    FIDIR.TXT is a file that used by Q to record the connectivity between QWin and the various "Participating Financial Institutions".
    Since it's a simple text file, you can open it with WordPad or NotePad (don't use MS Word).  And, technically, you could change it ... but that wouldn't do any good because it wouldn't change what's in the contract between Q and the PFI as to how they interact.  In fact, changing the file could lead Q to try something that's invalid, with "who knows what" results.
    There's also a counterpart in QMac, but since I use QWin, I'm not familiar with the QMac version ... other than it's very similar with the caveat that not all PFI's support both QWin and QMac.  QCanada also has this file, but with Cdn PFI's.

• Hayesjw
    Hayesjw Member ✭✭
    I just sent this email to Voya. I suggest others do the same.

"I called your support line earlier this week regarding difficulty downloading Voya transactions into my Quicken program. This functionality is very important to me, and a number of other users who are posting their frustration of Voya on the Quicken user support website. See https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7890635/cant-download-voya-inst-plan-services-retirement-account -- Please let me know when this functionality will be restored and that you are aware of the issue that has occurred since 3/19/21."
  • Mmdwyer2006
    Mmdwyer2006 Member ✭✭
    The "zzz - " in front of the Voya Institutional Services is very similar to what happened when USAA decide to sell off their investment arm to Schwab and Victory Capital. Months before the deal actually took place, USAA shut down the investments interface to Quicken and the "zzz - " was added to the front of the institution name in Quicken. I was stuck with manually updating transactions into five different accounts under two different logins. Victory Capital doesn't support Quicken so I was able to close one account and send it over to Schwab who does. Still have to do it for three more.

Here's an idea: TD Ameritrade does support Quicken. Maybe shift Voya dollars to the allowed TD Ameritrade self-directed account?
  • tfanguy
    tfanguy Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all the input. Yesterday morning it worked (i downloaded transactions). Then at lunch time it stopped working. I tried to reset the account and found that Voya Inst Plan is not even on the list of service providers! I sent a email this morning to Voya demanding an answer as you have suggested.
  • lobuem
    lobuem Member ✭✭
    This sounds like Quicken removed the Institutional Plan Services entry. Voya still insists that they support Quicken, their instructions say to choose Voya Institutional Plan Services. This maps to Voyaretirementplans.com, which is redirected to my.voya.com. The only Quicken choice maps to voya.com which is incorrect.

I had it working for years, then all of a sudden on 3/25 I get an error in Quicken that Downloads have been disabled. Voya insists they did no such thing.

I need a way to add an entry to the list that uses my.voya.com and I think it will then work.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    lobuem said:
    This sounds like Quicken removed the Institutional Plan Services entry. Voya still insists that they support Quicken, their instructions say to choose Voya Institutional Plan Services. This maps to Voyaretirementplans.com, which is redirected to my.voya.com. The only Quicken choice maps to voya.com which is incorrect.

I had it working for years, then all of a sudden on 3/25 I get an error in Quicken that Downloads have been disabled. Voya insists they did no such thing.

I need a way to add an entry to the list that uses my.voya.com and I think it will then work.
    Voya LAUSD 457b Deferred Comp Plan maps to my.voya.com, but I doubt that will do you any good.  It isn't Quicken Inc that changes this list, it is Intuit, which Quicken Inc pays for this service.  Voya and Intuit have to hash this out.  You can't change the list.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Gina Santacroce
    Gina Santacroce Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Thank you for all the instructions, comments, ect. An absolute nightmare that I won't bother calling as I did this last time. This really sucks
This discussion has been closed.