One Time Update is updating two distinct data files

Sharky11
Sharky11 Member
I have two Quicken data files: one for my accounts and one for my daughter's. Though we have two online banks in common, the rest are not. Over the past week or two when I run One Time Update from one within one data file, Quicken connects to the online banks stored in BOTH data files and downloads the transactions. If an account doesn't exist in the current data file for one of the banks, it creates an account. I don't use Quicken Mobile/Web Sync. I've contacted Quicken Support by phone and we did a validate and repair on both files, but that hasn't resolved the issue. Has anyone else encountered this and, if so, how can I fix this? What I'm doing now is deleting the extra transactions and accounts, but it takes a ton of time.

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    How did you create the daughter's account?  Did you make a copy of your data file and then delete accounts from each file to personalize them?
    If so, that is your problem, there is a file id associated with a file when you use File->New Quicken file , making a copy does not change the file id and with the latest way Quicken handles Express Web Connect downloads, the Quicken back end sees the files as the same.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If it is the problem that I described, you would have to create a new file from "scratch", probably for the daughter since I would expect her file has fewer accounts.
    To test to see if it will fix the issue, you could start a new file, File->New Quicken File, add a single account (one that is a problem in the other files) and see if it updates by itself and not try to create a second account.
    If that works, then we can proceed with possible ways to finish the fix.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    How did you create the daughter's account?  Did you make a copy of your data file and then delete accounts from each file to personalize them?
    If so, that is your problem, there is a file id associated with a file when you use File->New Quicken file , making a copy does not change the file id and with the latest way Quicken handles Express Web Connect downloads, the Quicken back end sees the files as the same.

• Sharky11
    Sharky11 Member
    I honestly can't remember how I created it. It's been several years and it worked find until recently. Is there a way to fix it?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If it is the problem that I described, you would have to create a new file from "scratch", probably for the daughter since I would expect her file has fewer accounts.
    To test to see if it will fix the issue, you could start a new file, File->New Quicken File, add a single account (one that is a problem in the other files) and see if it updates by itself and not try to create a second account.
    If that works, then we can proceed with possible ways to finish the fix.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sharky11 said:
    I honestly can't remember how I created it. It's been several years and it worked find until recently. Is there a way to fix it?
    Recently they have been syncing more to the "cloud account" and as such yes this can be a new problem.  Note this "syncing" isn't anything you can turn off, it isn't the "sync to Mobile/Web" setting.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    P.S.S.  If your daughter's data file only has non investment accounts you can try using the QXF export from that data file into a new data file  (Note this is QXF, not QFX).

File -> File Export -> Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File...
    File -> File Import -> Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File...

[fixed typo QFX->QXF - splasher]
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @splasher!
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.