How do I get Quicken Support to talk directly to Fifth Third Support to solve my problem?

mglindy
mglindy Member ✭✭
I can't get Direct Connect to work with Fifth Third Bank (only Express Web Connect). I have spoken to support on both sides. They both say it is the other's problem. NO. It is MY Problem. What else can I do to get them to work together to solve this issue?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @mglindy,

Sorry to hear that you seem to be stuck between your bank an Quicken.

I was just wondering whether you can recall some change or circumstances that occurred around "a couple of weeks ago" that may have caused your DC to the bank to fail.  Have you considered restoring a backup file from prior to when the DC stopped working to see if you could connect using that backup file?

The "incorrect credentials" that 5/3 techs said Quicken was sending theoretically would be limited to your user id and password - weren't the bank folks able to provide you with more details that might help you resolve this?

Frankx  

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what the best method is to get something like what you want escalated at both Fifth Third and Quicken but you could ask to speak with their supervisors if you are not getting the appropriate support.
    A couple of things you should note:
    • Generally, resolution of DC issue is the responsibility of the Financial Institution (FI).  That is because DC issues usually are something integral to the FI's system and Quicken has absolutely no access to any FI's system.
    • FI Customer Service people generally know squat about Quicken so they will often point the finger at Quicken since they don't know how to provide any other response.  If you are not getting any help from a Customer Service person, ask to speak with their supervisor or with a person in their tech support.
    Having said all that, may I ask a few questions?
    1. Are you having any issues setting up DC or EWC with any other FI?  If so, with who and for which connection method?
    2. If you have EWC already set up for Fifth Third, have you checked your Online Services tab of Account Details?  There should be a link there stating that an improved connection method is available.  Have you clicked on that link and what was the result?
    3. If you do not have EWC already set up for Fifth Third:  Have you clicked on Advance Options during the set up process, then clicked on Direct Connect and what was the result?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• mglindy
    mglindy Member ✭✭
    Tried the following:
    - Reinstalled Quicken on my PC
    - Created a new Quicken file with no history. Added 5/3 account with same result.
    - Tried to set up in Direct Connect as listed above
    - Had 5/3 Reset my User ID and confirm it should accept Direct Connect
    - 5/3 verified they could see me log in as Express Web Connect and when I tried to connect via DC, they confirmed that Quicken was sending them "Incorrect Credentials".
    - Also, my direct connect with 5/3 has worked fine for years, prior to a couple of weeks age.
    - my AMEX account will not connect with Direct Connect, but don't need that service with them. Others accounts work in DC fine.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @mglindy,

Sorry to hear that you seem to be stuck between your bank an Quicken.

I was just wondering whether you can recall some change or circumstances that occurred around "a couple of weeks ago" that may have caused your DC to the bank to fail.  Have you considered restoring a backup file from prior to when the DC stopped working to see if you could connect using that backup file?

The "incorrect credentials" that 5/3 techs said Quicken was sending theoretically would be limited to your user id and password - weren't the bank folks able to provide you with more details that might help you resolve this?

Frankx  

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• mglindy
    mglindy Member ✭✭
    I am not fixed!!!
    I tried many things over again, so it may have been the sequence of events finally fixed the problem. One thing I did change when it finally fixed.
    - I changed one of the letters in my user name to a CAPITAL Letter in Quicken, that I may have had capital letter when I originally set user name up at 5/3. I don't think that should matter, but maybe it did.
    -Please note, my user name login was working fine with Express Web Connect, while it had all small letters in Quicken. When I changed, it now works in Direct Connect. Maybe there was some recent change in Direct Connect that now recognizes Capital Letters in User Names. Either on Quicken Side or Fifth Third side. Either way, I don't care. I am not going to change it back to test my hypothesis. Thanks for your help.
  • mglindy
    mglindy Member ✭✭
    The above post was supposed to say...
    I am NOW fixed.
    Couldn't edit once posted. Thanks for your help!
  • riessa
    riessa Member ✭✭
    I am also having problems with updating my Fifth Third account, though not any other accounts. This happened directly after installing the new update last week. Fifth Third told me it was Quicken's problem, and attempts to solve it with Quicken chat did not work last weekend. It is still not updating. Please help!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @riessa,

Are you receiving an error code, and if not can you describe what happens when you try to update the account?  Also what steps did you do for support?

Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Frankx

• riessa
    riessa Member ✭✭
    Error Code OL-295-A. When updating along with other accounts, I receive the "error" message. I worked with two chat helpers last weekend, who had two different ways of trying to solve it, including validating and repair. I have checked the passwords, which are accurate, and tried it with a new account (a step suggested by the chat helper). Then was told to wait a few days, which is where we are now. As I mentioned, this occurred right after I installed the update.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, since this error is only appearing for only one financial institution it is typically a temporary situation. 

Did they have you check your settings for accepting cookies when you were on with Quicken Support?  If not, please see the instructions that appear at the very bottom of this troubleshooting document  LINK.  And if it still isn't working you should call support back on Monday.

Frankx

• riessa
    riessa Member ✭✭
    The link wasn't helpful, and there is a 180 minute wait on the phone line. I spoke with the Fifth Third Quicken team on Saturday- they were adamant that this issue is on Quicken's end, since it occurred right after the update. Can someone connect with them and resolve this?
  • riessa
    riessa Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your help- I know you are a community member and not staff, but staff has not been helpful!
This discussion has been closed.