The only way to add a new transaction

steve150@
steve150@ Member ✭✭✭
to a register is to enter it on the bottom - I think ?

It would be nice to have a "Write Checks" type window so that I don't need to lose my place in the register.

Thanks

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you are in the middle of a banking register and want to insert a new transaction, type CTRL-I. A blank transaction will open at that location.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @steve150@

If you are in the register and want to write a check - just use the "ctrl + W" shortcut and the write check window will pop-up.

Let me know if yu have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• steve150@
    steve150@ Member ✭✭✭
    But then I gotta print a check right ?

I want to add transactions to my Checking and Credit Card registers without all the scrolling and printing.
  • UserDavidC
    UserDavidC Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Frankx I don't think that is what Steve is asking.

@steve150@ Correct me if I am wrong but I think you are asking if there is a way to use a dialog box to enter any type of transaction in a register instead of going to a blank entry at the top or bottom of the register to enter a new transaction.

This would be somewhat similar to the write check dialog but for any type of transaction.

As far as I known, there is no way to do this.
    Quicken user since 1995.
    Current subscription user.
  • steve150@
    steve150@ Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

That's exactly what I was asking.

I think it would be a nice feature.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you are in the middle of a banking register and want to insert a new transaction, type CTRL-I. A blank transaction will open at that location.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• steve150@
    steve150@ Member ✭✭✭
    YAHOO ! ! !

Thanks
  • frankdentdmd
    frankdentdmd Member
    Came to the Quicken Community to seek an answer to this issue of lost insert transaction function.
    I run my home and 2 businesses from Quicken home and biz... for a long, long time. Those of you like me who had to insert about 20 Floppy A discs will commiserate! Haha!
    "Senior" users (I won't use the word "Advanced) like myself insert transaction lines into the registers to annotate the account. Busy accounts with over several hundred transactions a month NEED annotations to aid in reconciliation (auto reconciliation is for amateurs). So, I just add a register line as a General Journal Entry with no monetary amount and I add the current balance to the Note column to keep my running balance equal at that point. That way months later during my trial balance for my Cash Flow for taxes I've got the running total next to my general ledger transaction to see if some wayward transaction has slipped into the register.
    Anyway, I have found that most new registers can insert transactions but then "POOF" one night it just won't work as folks have been saying in previous threads. Damn, that's a PITA. This time, however, it happened right in front of me so to speak. I was sliding my register columns around a bit and "voila!" I lost my ability to insert transactions in this account. WTF? Other accounts still have the insert function on the register settings (I guess they call it the "more" function). Haven't found a way on my own to re-enable the insert function on the settings but Hey! The Control + I keystroke DOES INSERT THE TRANSACTION RIGHT WHERE I NEED IT! Thank you Rocket J. Squirrel! Problem apparently solved!
    NOTE TO QUICKEN DEVELOPMENT TEAM: Figure out this bug and correct it. At least, put the solution in the Help feature within Quicken. Thanks again! Frankdentdmd
This discussion has been closed.