Unique Categories for different accounts

I have two checking accounts in Quicken. I would like to set up two unique category sets, one for each account. Can I do that? If so how?

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    No, Categories are global to all accounts. Unless you create specific ones for each account (not suggested), you can't create categories specific to an account.

You might looking into Tags to differentiate the transactions by account. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    As John says, you can't make a category list restricted to one account. I might have a couple ideas for workarounds. But instead, could you please describe in detail what you are trying to accomplish by this? As John implies, there's probably a better way to do it, either with tags or some other technique.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • MJMackowski
    MJMackowski Member
    One checking account is for family expenses, the other is for a small home-based hobby business. The categories are completely separate and it's a pain scrolling thru the longer list of household categories to get to different business categories that are all mixed in. I could probably name all the biz categories with a prefix. Way back when I just had two unique Quicken files.
  • RickO
    Most people would not recommend keeping personal and biz accounts in the same file. If you don't want to split into two files, a prefix for one set of categories is probably the way to go. 

But why all the scrolling? If you type the first couple of characters of the category, the drop down list will get much shorter. Then you can use the arrow keys followed by tab to select the one you want. Don't even need to take your hands off the keyboard.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's how I do mine.  You should set up business categories. Make sure to assign them to a schedule C line item number so they show up as business categories. I don't know what categories you would need but my husband is a Land Surveyor.  Here's how I set mine up (I also put the Schedule C line number in as part of the name)...

Survey Income
    Survey Expenses
     ……..11 Labor
     ……..18 Office Expense
     ……..20 Equip Rent
     ……..22 Supplies
     ……..24a Travel
     ……..27 Other - Printing
     ……..27 Other - Small Tools

I made the expenses sub-categories of the main Survey Expense category.

Also I use Tags  for each job.  Then when I run a report I can sort it by job.  So an expense entry might look like this…
    Survey Expenses:22 Supplies/Maple Street

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• MJMackowski
    MJMackowski Member
    It's more of a hobby/business so I only add categories a couple times a year. Each checking account is separate, but when I open Quicken I see all my accounts. I think all the accounts are in one file. (Maybe I don't understand how you could have multiple files...?) They all seem to share the same list of categories.
  • RickO
    Each Quicken file (aka database) is completely independent and contains its own unique set of categories, payees, tags, etc. It is usually recommended that records for different taxable entities be kept in separate Quicken files. This does, however, require switching between files (which is actually quite easy). Here's how it works:
    • Each separate Quicken file exists as a separate document in the Mac's Finder
    • You create a new file by clicking menu File > New in Quicken, then Start from Scratch.
    • In a new file, you create accounts, categories, etc just as in your original file.
    • You would give your original file a name such as "My Personal Finances" and the new file a name such as "My Business Finances". (You can change a file's name via menu File > Rename.)
    • To switch between files, you click menu File > Open Recent. If you launch Quicken from the Applications Folder or Dock, it will always open with the last file used.
    I'm not saying it's definitely right or wrong to keep these accounts in the same file. If you decide to keep them in the same file, then the workarounds suggested by @jacobs, @volvogirl, and myself will help. If you decide to split them into separate files, let us know and we can suggest a way to split what you already have without having to start completely over.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would set up a brand new Quicken Data File like if you wanted to track your Parent's finances and accounts.  Or someone else's accounts.  Or a Trust, etc.  Or for a club or church.  

Found my notes,

FILES - Your data is kept in a separate data FILE (and not in the program).   In the data File you have all your accounts.  You can have more than one File like a  separate file for your parents or children or a club. Recent Files opened should be listed at the bottom of the FILE menu item. Your data file ends in .qdf and should be in your Documents (or Library) then in a Quicken sub Folder.  Or you can search your computer for all files ending in .qdf to find them.  Go to FILE - NEW QUICKEN FILE  to setup another data file. When you do a backup it only backs up the file currently open.  You get the whole data file and all the accounts in that one file.

ACCOUNTS - You can have many accounts in a File like a checking account, savings, credit card, asset, investment. Accounts are listed down the side in the Account Bar. You can do Ctrl+A or go to TOOLS - ACCOUNT LIST to bring up the Account listing.  You do not backup Accounts separately.  

CATEGORIES - There is 1 Category list for all the accounts in your file.  It starts out with a list of common Categories but you can add your own categories and delete ones you don't need.  You can also have Sub Categories.  If you have a business you need to assign a category to a Schedule C tax line for it to show up on business reports.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.