Upgrade from Starter to Deluxe edition mid subscription term

Hi. I have used Quicken since the late '90s and finally decided to take the plunge and move from CD ROM based Deluxe edition to subscription based 10 days ago. I purchased a starter version just to check that I was doing the right thing and now want to upgrade to the Deluxe edition.
However, when I go to the upgrade options, I am asked for the full year's subscription, rather than just paying for the difference from Starter to Deluxe. Having only had the subscription for 10 days, I can't believe that's right.
Would someone please be kind enough to tell me what I'm missing. I've had a look through threads but can't find anything that answers, though of course I could be missing that, too, as I'm obviously getting old and daft! Thanks for your help.

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Dwaelf,

A couple of thoughts...

1) with any subscription (i.e. at any level - starter, deluxe, etc.) there is a 30 day period from when you start within which you can get a full refund of the purchase price.  So if you really want your money back, you can simply cancel the Starter and then go back and begin a new subscription of Deluxe.  But see below...

2) Quicken's policy - see this LINK - is that when you upgrade to a higher level, "the prorate for your original subscription value is added on as additional time to the new subscription" - so that is the reason that you are being charged the full amount for the upgrade to Deluxe.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Dwaelf,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Dwaelf said:
    Am I right in thinking, then, that if I upgrade now to Deluxe without cancelling the Starter version, I will be able to use Deluxe immediately but also have the best part of 2 years on the subscription?
    Yes, if you upgrade to Deluxe without cancelling your Starter subscription, an additional year will be added to your original expiration date.

I hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any additional questions!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Dwaelf,

A couple of thoughts...

1) with any subscription (i.e. at any level - starter, deluxe, etc.) there is a 30 day period from when you start within which you can get a full refund of the purchase price.  So if you really want your money back, you can simply cancel the Starter and then go back and begin a new subscription of Deluxe.  But see below...

2) Quicken's policy - see this LINK - is that when you upgrade to a higher level, "the prorate for your original subscription value is added on as additional time to the new subscription" - so that is the reason that you are being charged the full amount for the upgrade to Deluxe.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Dwaelf
    Dwaelf Member
    Thanks for your quick response. Am I right in thinking, then, that if I upgrade now to Deluxe without cancelling the Starter version, I will be able to use Deluxe immediately but also have the best part of 2 years on the subscription? Just want to be sure.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Dwaelf,

Dwaelf said:
    Am I right in thinking, then, that if I upgrade now to Deluxe without cancelling the Starter version, I will be able to use Deluxe immediately but also have the best part of 2 years on the subscription?
    Yes, if you upgrade to Deluxe without cancelling your Starter subscription, an additional year will be added to your original expiration date.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Hello @Dwaelf,

Dwaelf said:

Actually NOT according to the written Quicken policy....
    Frankx said:

According to the policy wording, you will get a PRORATED extension to your Deluxe subscription based on the cost of the Starter subscription price vs the Deluxe subscription price!

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Dwaelf
    Dwaelf Member
    Many thanks to you all for your very helpful information. I've now upgraded and everything seems to be working well, my subscription is now just under 2 years, which is great. :Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.