Categorize a Transfer for Reports - using Tags??

Yes, I know that for transfers of funds between accounts, Quicken uses the Category field for such transfers - thereby making it impossible to Categorize the movement - but I still want, need to track this movement of funds.

So I have a question about the Tags field. Is the Tags field pretty unlimited in the number of Tags you can have, much like the Category field is pretty much unlimited. Although messy, could I create separate Tags for transfers that I want to keep track of, which would allow me to create a bunch of not-often used tags (like the occasional not often used Categories) to track these transfers in a Report.

I say messy because I have only used about a dozen tags in the last 2 or 3 years - but this approach would expand my Tag list considerably.

I just wanted to check to see
1) if there is any problems with this approach - which I think will get me what I need - the ability to track transfers of funds between accounts, in a Report
2) or if anyone has a better approach, please let me know.

Thanks.
ron in shawnee

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Ron n Round Rock

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to ask your question, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

I performed a small test and tagged a few transfer transactions. I was able to sort and display these in reports. I have provided two types of reports as examples.

The only thing so far is that there will be no overall total as the tags are applied to both sides of the transfers and which causes the amount to be zero.

I hope this helps you to decide if this method will show you what you need!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Ron n Round Rock

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to ask your question, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

I performed a small test and tagged a few transfer transactions. I was able to sort and display these in reports. I have provided two types of reports as examples.

The only thing so far is that there will be no overall total as the tags are applied to both sides of the transfers and which causes the amount to be zero.

I hope this helps you to decide if this method will show you what you need!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Ron n Round Rock
    Ron n Round Rock Member ✭✭✭
    Gee Tyka- Thanks for going to all the extra work.

And yes, I think that will give me what I am after. I don't think I care about the summations cancelling each other out because I am mainly interested in tracking the movement of the funds. I will have to play with it to see how it intermixes with other categories, but I think it will work.

[It's a reimbursement issue - tracking money through 3 accounts. I am currently entering both sides of the transfer separately with categories to enable me to do the tracking, but it was getting to be a pain.]

And I also found out that you can have 32K tags, which is more than enough since I will only need a dozen or two to track the transactions I am interested in.

Thanks for the help.

ron in shawnee