Any solutions for Quicken Windows install getting "stuck"?

ALovhaug
ALovhaug Member ✭✭
I am a long time user of Quicken, setting up a new computer. When I try to install Quicken, it gets "stuck" on the screen that says "Installing Quicken" (Installation can take several minutes...) I've left it overnight, and the progress bar never moves (it never gets filled in at all). The window says it is not responding. I have tried: 1) logging in as a different user, Running the windows troubleshooting tool, launching the installer with elevated privileges, rebooting the computer before installing, installing to a different drive, and installing an earlier version of Quicken from a couple of years ago. No change with any of these options. Other software installs fine without issue.

In the Quicken installer log, the last few lines are:

Mon Mar 29 06:07:29.741 2021 : Checking for locked files.
Mon Mar 29 06:07:29.741 2021 : Config directory does not exist.
Mon Mar 29 06:07:29.741 2021 : msiexecpath found: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\\msiexec.exe
Mon Mar 29 06:07:29.741 2021 : Quicken Package Path: C:\Users\LOCALA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\pftCB3C.tmp\DISK1\Quicken.msi

Suggestions welcome, as this issue is becoming quite urgent for me.

--A. Lovhaug
Tagged:

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Hi @ALovhaug

Can you tell us which version of Quicken (including the build) that you are trying to install, and also which version of Windows you are running?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• ALovhaug
    ALovhaug Member ✭✭
    Good question. I'm finding the Quicken versioning confusing, but I can tell you I have a Home, Business, and Rental Property Subscription, and I downloaded the latest version. (I also tried installing an earlier version from 2018 that I had in my downloads folder.)

The version of Windows in 10.0.19042, Build 19042.

Just got off chat with support, and they weren't able to figure it out either. :-( I was able to get it installed on a laptop, which is a good short-term solution for me, so much less than before, but I would still like to solve this as I'd prefer to not have my financial data on a machine that leaves the house. The other idea I have is to try installing it inside a virtual machine, which is perhaps what I will try later this week.

I'm starting to think there is something goofy with Windows going on here, although I haven't had any problems installing any other software, just Quicken.

--Avonelle
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @ALovhaug

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is odd you're not getting any other information. During the install. I'm wondering here if the default install directory might be what's giving us the issue. If you haven't already I would recommend trying to change it to see if that might be the issue we're running into. When you're installing Quicken you should get an option to change the install directory This may help give us some more information to work with.

Once you get the chance let us know if that might of helped. If not we can see what we can try next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• ALovhaug
    ALovhaug Member ✭✭
    Thanks Francisco. As a matter of fact, I have tried this two different ways. I have tried installing to a different folder on the same drive (the "c" boot drive), and also I have tried installing to a completely different drive. I get the same behavior in either case.

--Avonelle
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    > Quicken Package Path: C:\Users\LOCALA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\pftCB3C.tmp\DISK1\Quicken.msi
    In my notes, I have a comment which says that the Administrator account used by the installation process must not be named with a 2-part name, e.g., "Local Administrator" or "John Doe", with a blank as part of the name.
    Create a new Windows User Account with Admin privileges which uses a simple name, e.g., "John".
    Log on to this account and run the Quicken installation process ("for all users" when prompted).
    When complete, reboot and log on to your usual Windows account to run Quicken and everything else.

• ALovhaug
    ALovhaug Member ✭✭
    Hmmmm...interesting. I am assuming that by "named" you mean the Username, and not the Full Name. Is that correct?

If so, the administrative account I have been using all along for this is a local user account with a single word name, no spaces or anything. But its full name is blank.

--Avonelle
  • ALovhaug
    ALovhaug Member ✭✭
    I did just try creating a new local account with admin privileges and with a single word username and full name, and then tried an install there. No difference - same behavior as before.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The username portion in the package path message, "LOCALA~1" makes me assume that your admin account name is "Local Administrator" and that the path, using long file and folder names, really is "C:\Users\LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR\AppData\Local\Temp\..." and that's what's messing up the process.
  • ALovhaug
    ALovhaug Member ✭✭
    Gotcha. Actually it is not, it is a single word with no spaces.

--Avonelle
  • Rod Scherencel
    Rod Scherencel Member ✭✭
    I am having precisely the same issues. I could not have described mine any more accurately than this. And I have tried the same solutions as ALovehaug with no resolution to the problem. I have installed Parallels and Windows 11 on my MacBook Pro Max with the same result. My son has installed Quicken Home, Business and Rental on his MacBook Pro Max identical to mine with Parallels and Windows 11 with full success. It is fully functional. Furthermore, bank connection has gotten worse and worse in the last few months. Something terribly frustrating is going on over in the Quicken IT department. Please let us know if you find an answer. This is frustrating.
  • ALovhaug
    ALovhaug Member ✭✭
    Rod - I'm sad that you are also having this problem. It seems it is pretty unusual, since it has been more than a year that I logged my issue, and no one else reported having it besides you.

I finally gave up. I run Quicken inside a Windows 10 virtual machine where it will successfully install (instead of my main computer where it would not). Maybe that is "safer" since I don't do other kinds of browsing in that VM, just access banking accounts, but it is still frustrating.

I don't have any bank connection issues, but mainly I just download QFX files from my banks.

Good luck,

--Avonelle
This discussion has been closed.