Using Quicken File from Desktop & Laptop

mcphersonkent
mcphersonkent Member ✭✭✭
I use Quicken on my iMac at home. If I am going on vacation, can I open my Quicken data file in the cloud from my laptop and use it while away from home?

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    It is not recommended to store your Quicken file in the cloud (eg. iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc.). This is not supported and often leads to unrecoverable file corruption.

There are a couple of alternatives. One is to leave the home machine running and remotely log into it using remote access software: https://machow2.com/rdp-for-mac/

Another option is to temporarily move the file to your laptop and then move it back when you return. To move the file, make a backup, move the backup to the laptop and restore it there. When you return, do the reverse. It's safe to move the backup file via a cloud service because the backup is a compressed file that won't get corrupted in the cloud.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    It is not recommended to store your Quicken file in the cloud (eg. iCloud Drive, Dropbox, etc.). This is not supported and often leads to unrecoverable file corruption.

There are a couple of alternatives. One is to leave the home machine running and remotely log into it using remote access software: https://machow2.com/rdp-for-mac/

Another option is to temporarily move the file to your laptop and then move it back when you return. To move the file, make a backup, move the backup to the laptop and restore it there. When you return, do the reverse. It's safe to move the backup file via a cloud service because the backup is a compressed file that won't get corrupted in the cloud.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    To add two things to what @RickO wrote:

As long as you move a compressed copy of your data file -- either a .quickenbackup file (from Quicken File > Save a Backup) or a .zip file (from Finder File > Compress) to iCloud or Dropbox, and then move that compressed file to your laptop to use there, you'll be fine. Then do the reverse when you come home and want to move your file back to your iMac. The keys are (a) never moving a live Quicken data file, only a compressed file, and (b) not trying to run Quicken with the live data file on a cloud service.

When you asked about the cloud, I'm not sure if you were talking about this or if you were talking about "Quicken Cloud". Quicken does have a web interface you can use to enter transactions and do some -- but not all -- the things you can do in desktop Quicken. So if you just want to be able to enter transactions or check a balance while you're away, you might find this adequate for your needs. Just realize that Quicken Cloud is not your entire Quicken data file; it syncs with your desktop Quicken data file the next time you use it. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.