How do I set up a mutual fund

morse98
morse98 Member
How is a mutual fund set up under investing as a stand alone account?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Step 1, you create an Investment type account in Q
    Step 2, you create the security in Q
    Step 3, you either Add Securities, or (if you have transferred cash into the account) you BUY Securities.

All of this is covered in Q's HELP.  So what difficulty did you encounter in the process? 
    And what Q product are you running?   "Starter Edition" doesn't support investment type accounts, and if that's your issue you need to upgrade to at least Deluxe.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a mutual fund company like Vanguard?  And you bought mutual funds?  I would set up an Investment account for the company and buy the individual funds inside it.  Or is it for a 401K or IRA?  Set up a 401K of IRA Account to buy the funds inside it.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• morse98
    morse98 Member
    Thank you for your response. I have Quicken Premier. I created the mutual fund in Securities. When trying to set up investment account, I assume the account should be "Brokerage Account". However, I am unable to find the screen to add securities or buy securities. What are the steps to set up the Brokerage Account for me to a mutual fund?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do a new transaction.  Then a buy.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• morse98
    morse98 Member
    I cannot find the screen for a new transaction to add/buy. Sorry to be so dense.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    morse98 said:
    I cannot find the screen for a new transaction to add/buy. Sorry to be so dense.
    What brokerage are you using ?
    What security are you wanting to add ?
    Is this a normal account - or some kind of Retirement account - they are sometimes handled differently ?
    Quicken has all these things builtin to handle downloads directly from your brokerage, which is WHY we ask -
    Certain situations have to be handled manually, but without you sharing the details, we really can't answer your question -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the top of the account register, just above the column headers, there should be an "Enter Transactions" button.  This is the simpler approach, particularly for someone new to Q.
    OR, you can simply type the transaction into the account register,

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.