Direct connect versus web express connect

jpbva
jpbva Member
Experiencing problems with downloading transaction from my bank and decided to deactivate the account and set it up again. It tells me that I must have a direct connect account to connect. However, I want to and for many years have used an express web connection. Why can I not set my account up to use that type of connection? I do not see any advance options that allow me to pick the type of connection.

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What release..... Help --> About Quicken
    What bank -
    and DC is a much better solution compared to EWC

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOTE, however, that some banks/etc charge to download via Direct Connect and that the use of Direct Connect must be coordinated with the bank to enable it on their end.
    US BANK is one such financial institution.  But I consider their $3.95/month charge to download ALL of my USB accounts to be money well spent since their EWC implementation is so flaky.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jpbva
    jpbva Member
    Suntrust is the bank and charges $5.95 for direct connect. EWC was doing everything I needed so would rather not pay.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jpbva said:
    Experiencing problems with downloading transaction from my bank and decided to deactivate the account and set it up again. 
    jpbva said:
    Suntrust is the bank and charges $5.95 for direct connect. EWC was doing everything I needed so would rather not pay.
    Well I would say you are "paying".

You are currently paying with the trouble and frustration of what is now happening with your Express Web Connect accounts.

As for addressing the problems you are having without having the exact error codes and such I will just put out the two main things that have been reported lately for a great number of Express Web Connect financial institutions/problems.

The most likely is that with the IRS sending the huge volume of stimulus checks the financial institution have taken to block/throttling "aggregator access".  As in Quicken Inc pays Intuit for Express Web Connect, which is in fact aggregation.  Intuit servers use a "agree upon" method to access the financial institution's website to get the transactions.

Basically when such things happen the best thing a person using Express Web Connect can do is "nothing".  As in live with the fact that you have no downloads until this time passes.  Note you might be able to do Web Connect, as in download a Web Connect/QFX file from your financial institution and import that into Quicken.

When you deactivated your account as a part of troubleshooting you aren't going to be able to reactivate it for the same reasons you couldn't download transactions.

The other problem that is floating around is Quicken Inc is migrating the connection method used for Express Web Connect from what they call FDS to QCS (Quicken Connection Services), which is another word for syncing to the cloud account data file.  And for some people that has caused some problems like transactions not downloading, without any kind of error message, just no transactions.

BTW Checking the Suntrust bank's advanced settings in Quicken I see that in fact Express Web Connect is still an option.  So that isn't the problem.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Gary
    Gary Member ✭✭✭
    So how exactly, doe's one enable Direct Connect for any other institution? For Example, I see the Upgrade to Direct Connect on every online account I link to, but instructions to actually perform such an upgrade lead me to a rabbit hole with no end! Any Suggestions?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Gary said:
    but instructions to actually perform such an upgrade lead me to a rabbit hole with no end! Any Suggestions?
    You will need to describe the "rabbit hole" since there are lots of different rabbits in the world!   :)

EDIT.  It would be a good idea of you start your own question on the subject as not to bother @jpbva
    And in question please give details like the financial institution and what problems you are facing.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.