Envelope Budgeting Still Not Doable?

I've been using YNAB for the past few years and have always wanted to go back to Quicken for the additional functionality it provides but I just can't get over the way the budgeting works.

For example, last time I tried Quicken, it required the use of savings goals that would create a sub account of sorts for every individual goal. Have there been any improvements at all made over the past year on the budgeting side of things?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No improvements of the type that would allow the abomination of "envelope budgeting"

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note that this is posted under Quicken Mac, and Quicken Mac doesn't have Savings Goals, so that workaround wouldn't apply to it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • MoMoney99
    MoMoney99 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Note that this is posted under Quicken Mac, and Quicken Mac doesn't have Savings Goals, so that workaround wouldn't apply to it.

Geez, even more reason to avoid Quicken on Mac for now. Why would there be such a glaring omission between platforms - seems extremely counter productive.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    MoMoney99 said:

Geez, even more reason to avoid Quicken on Mac for now. Why would there be such a glaring omission between platforms - seems extremely counter productive.
    Because Quicken Mac was totally rewritten starting in 2007, and this how far they have got so far.  Savings Goals are on their list, but the list of features in Quicken is very long, not to mention that on the Windows side they keep adding features as the Mac side tries to catch up.

This is the biggest warning to the Windows users that keep asking why Quicken Windows can't be totally rewritten to fix is 30 year old design goals and infrastructure.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • MoMoney99
    MoMoney99 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Because Quicken Mac was totally rewritten starting in 2007, and this how far they have got so far.  Savings Goals are on their list, but the list of features in Quicken is very long, not to mention that on the Windows side they keep adding features as the Mac side tries to catch up.
    >
    > This is the biggest warning to the Windows users that keep asking why Quicken Windows can't be totally rewritten to fix is 30 year old design goals and infrastructure.

Thanks for the details and explanation. It's too bad because the only thing I'd really want in order to move back to Quicken is a proper envelope budgeting system without having to use "Savings Goals" as some sort of work-around to achieving this. I see they have also launched Simplifi Money but it's not available in Canada and also lacks the vast majority of features already in Quicken today.
This discussion has been closed.