Transfers - including/excluding

Can someone kindly explain how Q reports handles transfers in reports? There are several options for including/excluding various types of transfers. While I've been able to stumble thru the options to create reports, I'd like to understand Quicken's definitions.

For example, on the category tab we can select/de-select "Transfers." And if we scroll to the bottom of the categories list, we can select/de-select each account, which affects the display of transfers into/out of those accounts.

Also, on the Advanced tab we have a drop-down to:
Include All
Exclude All
Exclude "self-transfers"
Exclude "internal"

What are "self-transfers" and "internal" transfers?

What types of transfer transactions does each menu option control?

Thanks for the assist.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The report customizations allow us to specify filters that limit the transactions included in a report.  If we uncheck an account, all transactions in the account are excluded from the report.  If we uncheck a category, all transactions with the category are excluded from the report. 

Include All - includes all transfer transactions (no transfer filter)
    Exclude All - excludes all transfer transactions
    Exclude self-transfers - excludes transfers within an account
    Exclude internal - excludes transfers between the accounts included in the report

Self-transfers (aka self-referencing transfers) are typically used for account balance adjustments.  The originating account is identified as the destination account (in the category field in square brackets).

Exclude internal means only transfers between an account included in the report and an account excluded from the report are not filtered.   

• LeaningTower
    LeaningTower Member ✭✭
    Thanks Sherlock. With respect to the list of accounts at the bottom of the categories (on the Category tab), will checking an account name enable displaying transfers in AND out of the account? If I check/select Acct #1 but not Acct #2 in the category tab (and have both accounts selected on the Accts tab), and I transferred $1000 from #1 to #2, will the report then show the transfer out of #1, but not show the balancing deposit into #2?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "With respect to the list of accounts at the bottom of the categories (on the Category tab), will checking an account name enable displaying transfers in AND out of the account?"
    IF you select an Account as a Category AND that Account is not selected as feeding information to a report AND "Exclude all" transfers is not selected THEN transfers between "internal" Accounts of the report and that excluded "external" Account will show up, but activity INSIDE that external will not be included. 
    It's probably best to set up a simple test file and try things out until you get the results you want.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Thanks Sherlock. With respect to the list of accounts at the bottom of the categories (on the Category tab), will checking an account name enable displaying transfers in AND out of the account? If I check/select Acct #1 but not Acct #2 in the category tab (and have both accounts selected on the Accts tab), and I transferred $1000 from #1 to #2, will the report then show the transfer out of #1, but not show the balancing deposit into #2?
    No and No.

Let's assume all accounts, categories, transfers, etc., are included in the report and there is transfer from Acct #1 to Acct #2 .  If we uncheck the Acct #2 category, all transactions with the Acct #2 category will be excluded from the report.  This means all the self-transfers in Acct #2 and all the transfers to or from Acct #2 in other accounts will not be in the report.  The transfer's withdrawal in Acct #1 will not be included.  The transfer's deposit in Acct #2 will be included.
  • Paddy
    Paddy Member ✭✭
    Can you help me start from the beginning? What report do I use to find transfers?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Paddy said:
    Can you help me start from the beginning? What report do I use to find transfers?
    To find transfer transactions, you may use a Transaction report: select Reports > Banking > Transaction

To exclude non-transfer entries from the report, you may uncheck the categories that are not account registers: press Alt + C and select the Categories tab
This discussion has been closed.