deleting prior 10 years worth of data from quicken

How do I get rid of prior year data no longer needed? Data say, older than 10 years old?

Best Answer

• Rich Stubby
    Rich Stubby Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Chris: Thank you for the clarification. I thought I'd have trouble with deleting that old investment information using the Q tools. I followed your link (http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/) and see an additional tool for my clean up operation I'm about to undertake. Thanks so much.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Rich Stubby

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

Quicken has the option to archive a portion of your data file. To learn more, please see the information available here.

Please let me know if this what you were needing.

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Rich Stubby
    Rich Stubby Member ✭✭
    Does this mean I can get rid of Stock transactions if these stock accounts now show ZERO shares and there's no cash balance in them with this archive process? I've got data (to be archived going back to 2000) that I do not want to continually back up which is never accessed (2000+10 years). My data file takes forever to save being all cluttered up with old data.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Does this mean I can get rid of Stock transactions if these stock accounts now show ZERO shares and there's no cash balance in them with this archive process? 
    Year End Copy suggested in the link that @Quicken_Tyka gave doesn't touch investment transactions or accounts.
    You can archive investment transactions from one investment account to another, but that is about it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rich Stubby
    Rich Stubby Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Chris: Thank you for the clarification. I thought I'd have trouble with deleting that old investment information using the Q tools. I followed your link (http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/) and see an additional tool for my clean up operation I'm about to undertake. Thanks so much.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich Stubby said:  My data file takes forever to save being all cluttered up with old data.
    What does that mean - a lot of us have our Quicken QDF Data File since forever -
    and it takes 15secs to perform the Quicken backup....  192MB -
      ... to get this display..... do ..... Left-Shift and click  About Quicken

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rich Stubby
    Rich Stubby Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021
    First off attached is the info about the file size; 55242K and 72 securities 6900 transactions saved to a Thumb Drive. My save time is about 15 seconds also but I have baggage I don't need (meaning the 72 securities) which is handled by my Edward Jones person. I'm trying to get a fresh start having been with Quicken for well before the year 2000 so there's at minimum 21 years of stocks and bond information I can archive and start over with a trim of the retained years to the past 5 or 7 years. Now I've trimmed the bank account to 2010 but I'm working on a real clean up say from 2015 forward and to take the stock investments out of my ACTIVE files.
    [EDIT] - added your instream data
  • Rich Stubby
    Rich Stubby Member ✭✭
    Here's another statistic why I'd like to clean up my Quicken account. Fourteen of the baggage accounts are obsolete or cancelled credit cards or bank accounts plus another 4 semi-retired accounts (more recently HIDDEN and not used) for a total of 20 of my accounts needing purged. I have 17 other current active accounts I want to keep (all credit card or bank accounts). I have six investment type accounts consisting of 503 transactions which can be purged. That's 46% baggage plus the 503 stock transactions I don't need to keep track of. I thought that's what ARCHIVE was about; if I need the information I can get to it by pulling up the archives. Doesn't Quicken have a way to purge this old baggage permanently from current file tracking and storage?