Why doesn't a matured CD show up as a sale transaction when downloaded

When I download account activity of an account with a matured CD, it generates 2 transactions--a matured CD tranacton and interest income. Why doesn't it generate a sale of the original investment in the CD? If I accept the downloaded transation, the CD never goes away

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question is who is the "it" which generates the transactions? Probably your financial institution, which knows less about Quicken than you do. Edit whatever incorrect transaction the FI sent and change it to a Sold transaction.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no such thing, in Q, as a "matured CD transaction".  So what was the actual action that downloaded?  Was it, perhaps, a "Shares Removed" transaction?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• djoelson
    djoelson Member ✭✭

I have the same question. It has been like this for years. If an instrument (treasury, CD, bond) matures the cash comes through ok but instrument remains with all of the shares intact. So a 10,000 maturity downloaded from (in my case) Charles Schwab increases my accounts value by 10,000. Each time i have to go into the account, create a transaction, find the name of the security, and remove that number of shares. I would think this should not be necessary? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks, Dave

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14

As mentioned above, you should replace the erroneous Schwab transaction(s) with Sold transaction(s).

A single Sold transaction will remove the shares, increase your cash balance, and show up in Quicken as a realized gain or loss.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.