How do I search within a Category, not within the *entire* Community?

Hi -- Q Mac user who is feeling very dense today :-)

Question: How do I search for previously asked question within a single category?

Example:
1. I sign in to the Community.
2. Go to "Quicken for Mac".
3. Enter whatever I'm looking for in the Search field.
4. Click "Search".
5. Get results from all categories.

The Community UI has changed recently. Previously, the Search field had a drop-down list to scroll way, way down from which I could select "Quicken for Mac". When I did that, the results were restricted to Q Mac.

On the Search Results page, I do see "Filter Results", but it does not have a "Category" option, only Title, Author, and Dates. I also see buttons for "All" and "Discussions", but again ... no "Categories".

What am I missing?

Best Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @MakesMeLoony

Thank you for the additional details and the screenshot. I understand the search you would like to perform. Unfortunately, there is no way to globally search just "Windows" or just "Mac."

You will need to choose a specific Mac category to perform a search from the filter. One option would be to go and follow the Mac categories and then perform a search of Followed Categories only.

To follow a category, go to the Mac page here:

https://community.quicken.com/categories/quicken-for-mac 

Then select a category and choose "Follow" This will need to be repeated for each of the Mac categories.

These preferences will be saved so you would only need to perform this step once and not for each search.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • MSO
    MSO Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi. I was able to get this to work, but it sure is confusing. Seems to me that if I have filtered already based on a category the search should look there. Or there should be a whole site? checkbox next to the search. Thanks.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @MakesMeLoony

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to ask your question!

To search within a specific category, be sure to select "Discussions" under the search bar.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • MakesMeLoony
    MakesMeLoony Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Thanks, Tyka.

I've done that, but I'm still puzzled:
    1. Category (in the red-lined box in your capture) looks like it is a list, but no amount of clicking anywhere on it opens a list.
    2. If I key "mac" into the field, then I see a list of "discussions" -- so I can then choose *one* of the "Discussions" the list suggests.

Q: How do I search within the entire "Quicken for Mac" category in one fell swoop? And is there any way to do this that doesn't involve multiple clicks and keystrokes? (not trying to be fussy; lots of "hand issues" make all those extra actions a literal pain).
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @MakesMeLoony

Thank you for the additional details and the screenshot. I understand the search you would like to perform. Unfortunately, there is no way to globally search just "Windows" or just "Mac."

You will need to choose a specific Mac category to perform a search from the filter. One option would be to go and follow the Mac categories and then perform a search of Followed Categories only.

To follow a category, go to the Mac page here:

https://community.quicken.com/categories/quicken-for-mac 

Then select a category and choose "Follow" This will need to be repeated for each of the Mac categories.

These preferences will be saved so you would only need to perform this step once and not for each search.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • MSO
    MSO Member ✭✭
    If I go to Quicken for Mac and then search for Reports I get results from Quicken for windows. As far as I can tell whenever I use Search it is not limited to the filter from which I start.

How do I search only within the results I already have.

Thanks
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @MSO

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to ask your question. I would recommend taking a moment to review a previous discussion on the topic.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7891982/how-do-i-search-within-a-category-not-within-the-entire-community#latest

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any additional questions!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • MSO
    MSO Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi. I was able to get this to work, but it sure is confusing. Seems to me that if I have filtered already based on a category the search should look there. Or there should be a whole site? checkbox next to the search. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.