Cash Balance in Register doesn't agree with Cash Balance In "Holdings"

The "Cash" balance shown in "Holdings" summary did not match the "Cash Balance" in the Transaction Register. In my case, I found a brokerage transaction amount that matched the discrepancy. The transaction, which had been downloaded from my brokerage account, created two entries in the transaction register: (1) a "Sell - Shares Sold" transaction which eliminated the shares, and (2) a "Cash Transferred into Account" transaction for the proceeds. I was able to eliminate the discrepancy by deleting both entries (deleting only the second one did not work) and re-entering the "Sell - Shares Sold" transaction. It appears that the original downloaded "Shares Sold" Transaction posted a hidden credit that duplicated the amount received.

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    I would guess the Sold with the linked Cash Balance Adjustment was entered when there was a Placeholder for that security with a later date. Placeholders prevent entering earlier transactions that will affect the cash balance.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    I would guess the Sold with the linked Cash Balance Adjustment was entered when there was a Placeholder for that security with a later date. Placeholders prevent entering earlier transactions that will affect the cash balance.
    QWin Premier subscription