How to unlink RRSP investment account with saving account.

Two accounts one saving one investing are linked and there is no “Show cash in the saving account” button in edit mode screen. See Image. I Can’t delete the saving account or edit the account details. The account Number and Bank card ID are not usable in the “Account detail” screen from the banking account
This link between the accounts just appeared recently. I have been using these accounts for years and had no problems. Then this started and I do not know why . There is another RRSP at the same Bank and it did not link to the saving account. This link is taking money out of a RRSP account and putting it into a saving account that is not a registered account. How do I break this link?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Retirement accounts aren't supposed to have the "linked checking" account option.

Since yours does, I can only surmise that what happened is that in the beginning the account type was a brokerage account that does have this option.  You turned that option on, and then if you set it to "Tax deferred" maybe it allowed you at that time to set it to a RRSP account, when it shouldn't have.

I tried a similar thing in the current US Quicken  and it wouldn't let me do a conversion of the account type until I turned off the "Show cash in a checking account" option.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sunre
    Sunre Member
    First and foremost thanks you for taking an interest.
    I have used these accounts and Quicken for years with no problem. The link only appeared recently. The accounts are a TD saving account that was always a saving account and the other is a RRSP that was created when I open the account 15 to 20 years ago. “Tax deferred” is set to no and there is no “show cash in a checking account” option in either accounts.. So the question is how do I unlink these. How do I access the Q accounts data so I can change this. The account Details screen (the only one that I seem to be able to use) has only the name and account number and account type that is grayed out. If I can't access the data files to change the link, how could I have change this in the first place? It has to be somewhere.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a screenshot of the Account Details (covering up the account number/username and such)?
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. you can attach an image by dragging and dropping it on the comment box.
    Signature:
  • Sunre
    Sunre Member
    It is attached to the first post is it not
  • Sunre
    Sunre Member
    Here is the Saving one
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK, maybe I'm misunderstanding what is going on here.

You stated that the two accounts are "linked".  What exactly do you mean by that?

Also you stated that you can't delete the Savings account or change the account number in it.
    The normal reason you can't change the account number is because an account is linked to an online account to download, but that account isn't given that there isn't any Online Services tab.  Also the text field seems to be "editable" (not greyed out).

What blocks you from editing/deleting the account?
    Signature:
  • Sunre
    Sunre Member
    When I sell a stock I want the money to stay in my RRSP and not transfer out of the RRSP to a saving account outside the plan. I did not say I can't delete the account or change the number . Why have the program if you are going to delete years of data and change account number to fiction? The Account Type is grayed out the other field will not change the link they are just data. We are talking about the "Show cash in the saving account" field that is not there and the need to separate a saving account from a RRSP. I will be happy to edit the account if you can direct me to where it can be done. " Online Display" and "Display option" will not unlink these account. So tell me which field to change and with what
  • Sunre
    Sunre Member
    I can see the confusion . When I said "I Can’t delete the saving account or edit the account details" I mean I can't afford to lose the data.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK I think I'm finally up to speed of what you are talking about.

So given some bizarre bug "corrupted" your data file the next step is to try to recover from this problem.

Since this just started happening my first suggestion would be to restore from a backup before this started and then redownload/enter the transactions to bring it up to date.

You can also try Validate and Repair, there is an off chance that might detect something wrong and fix it.

The last approach to fixing this problem is trying to move the transactions to another account(s) and deleting the old account(s).  I'm not sure if just moving the transactions in one of the accounts will do it, or if you will have to do it in both.
    You would create new accounts to move the transactions to.

For the non investment account this how you would do it:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/17263538

For the investment account you would select the gear icon in the upper right and select "Move Transactions".
    Signature:
  • Sunre
    Sunre Member
    Yep that is about right. I tried the restore from a week old backup first and that did not work. I may try a 6 month backup restore and see if that is far enough. Moving the transaction to an other account may or may not bring the problem to the new account . My work around is to buy a stock called "nothing" and move the money back to the RRSP account. At lease it keeps the investment side separate from the saving side. I will try Validate and Repair good suggestion.
    Somewhere there is a " link this account with this account = yes", If I could find this and change it to "no" then the problem is fixed .
    Thanks for your patient and help. If anything works I will post the solution.
  • Sunre
    Sunre Member
    BTW in the saving account I can not enter account number, Bank card ID but I can enter Contact name and Phone also I can change all the field on the left side except Account type. The same for the RRSP account.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    There most certainly is a "link to checking" variable somewhere in the data for the account, but if the GUI isn't showing you it, there isn't any way you can change it.  Somehow that setting in deep in Quicken got changed, but the GUI is doing the right thing in the sense that retirement accounts aren't suppose to have this setting "exposed" so that the user can change it, when it isn't "support" in this account type.

There shouldn't be any reason that such a setting will transfer to a new account.  You would be moving transactions, not the account settings.  I have fixed corrupted accounts doing this several times.
    Signature:
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    OK, maybe I'm misunderstanding what is going on here.

You stated that the two accounts are "linked".  What exactly do you mean by that?
    I don't see where you actually answered that question.  I am suspicious that there is something else we are missing.  If the accounts are 'linked' in Quicken's conventional nomenclature, then if you manually enter (Enter Transactions button) a Div transactions, it would appear in the RRSP transaction list as a DivX transaction with the cash showing up in the linked cash account attributed to the security that paid the dividend.  If you manually make that type of entry, is that the result you see?