downloading transactions from bank

downloaded transactions in some cases i.e. hand written checks do not contain payee detail, only says "check". How do I get the payee info included?

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Note the way most people handle this is pre-enter the check, and then when the download comes Quicken should match it based on the check number.  And since you have put in the payee, it will be there.

Not only does this solve the problem about how to get the payee in, it keeps your balance "correct".  The financial institution isn't going to know anything about the check until it hits/clears which might take quite a while depending on how that check is going to the person you are paying and it gets processed.  By having the check entered into Quicken you will know how much you really have to "spend'.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @herb driscoll

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. When it comes to checks you'll generally have to manually change the payee as what the bank reports to Quicken will be the Check # not the payee itself. From what I've seen this is consistent with most banks as well. I do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a hand-written check, the ONLY info that your bank's computers know is what's on the MICR line on the bottom of the check.
    Those computers don't know the Payee, so they can't provide it to Q via download.
    That's why it's usually advised to input your checks, and other transactions, into Q as soon as possible.  Immediately after writing the check if that's possible.
    THEN, when the transaction downloads, it will Match with the previously input item.
    If it DOESN"T match, then you need to look into why it doesn't.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Note the way most people handle this is pre-enter the check, and then when the download comes Quicken should match it based on the check number.  And since you have put in the payee, it will be there.

Not only does this solve the problem about how to get the payee in, it keeps your balance "correct".  The financial institution isn't going to know anything about the check until it hits/clears which might take quite a while depending on how that check is going to the person you are paying and it gets processed.  By having the check entered into Quicken you will know how much you really have to "spend'.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.