How can my Quicken balance and Online balance be over $3000 off and yet the account reconciles?

Options
StevenF
StevenF Member ✭✭
In Quicken I am showing a negative balance in the thousands but online I have a positive balance and yet the account do and always have reconciled. How can this be and how do I synchronize the two to be accurate? Thanks! Steven

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @StevenF  There's no way to guess at what issue you might be having without more information. Where is the balance negative: in the sidebar or in the account register running balance or the balance at the top of the register? Are all three of those values the same? How far back does this trnasaction history in this account go, and is the balance off just recently or over all time? Please provide more detailed information (and if you're comfortable doing so, capturing a screen shot and posting it can, literally, be worth a thousand words). 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • StevenF
    StevenF Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hello Jacobs. Thank you for your prompt response. Both Today's Balance and the Projected Balance in Quicken read -$4,194.22, while the Online Balance reads +$861.18. I've reconciled to $0 ever since opening the account on Quicken in January 2017. In 2018 and 2019 I made minor adjusts of -$64.99 and +$14.99 respectively. Far from the $5,055.40 swing that is currently showing. And I never had a red balance in the register until 3/22/19. Since then the register has been swinging down into the red and back to black a lot. While it was only a few hundred dollars in the beginning, which I attributed to spending and paychecks being mildly out of synch in Quicken, it has gotten obviously worse. And in real land, like the bank, I am never in the red. I'm not comfortable posting screen shots online, so maybe this is something I need to take to support. If the answer isn't obvious, please don't waste much time, but if you have ideas or thoughts, I'd love to here them.
    Thank you!
    StevenF
  • JaneL
    JaneL Member
    Options
    The same has been happening to me ever since the duplicate transactions fiasco began a few weeks ago. I end up having to reset the account multiple times. It gets worse and worse with high amounts in the red and then on the third connection to my bank it finally gets it right. Maybe try it several times. It worked for me. It is almost as if the system is getting the math wrong and then finally gets it right. Very frustrating.
  • StevenF
    StevenF Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi JanetL,
    Thanks for your input. May I ask, when you talk about “resetting the account” do you mean deleting and starting over, or simply disconnecting the link to the bank and reconnecting it? I have a TON of categories, memos and splits in these transactions over the past four years and would hate to lose all of that data. Thanks for your help,
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @StevenF and @JaneL

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.