E*Trade Bank CC-508 Error, Quicken Keeps Asking if I have two factor security

James J
James J Member ✭✭✭
About 3 days ago, Quicken started giving me the CC-508 error for my E*Trade bank accounts. I followed the steps here: https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-cc-508

This did not resolve the problem.

So I reset the account connection from the account details area in Quicken. When I did so, Quicken asked twice if I had two factor security enabled for E*Trade. I do not have it enabled. I am able to log onto the E*Trade website directly with no issues. I see no popup windows, the site doesn't ask me anything about two factor identification.

Any ideas here? Is it just me or is this a widespread problem?

Answers

• James J
    James J Member ✭✭✭
    Hmm, I thought the forum provided a form requiring info on the Quicken and OS version . . . Here it is:
    Quicken Premier, Version R32.12; Build 27.1.32.12
    Windows 10
  • Dan A
    Dan A Member
    Yes - having the same issue
  • CaptDoug777
    CaptDoug777 Member
    > @"James J" said:
    > About 3 days ago, Quicken started giving me the CC-508 error for my E*Trade bank accounts. I followed the steps here: https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-cc-508
    >
    > This did not resolve the problem.
    >
    > So I reset the account connection from the account details area in Quicken. When I did so, Quicken asked twice if I had two factor security enabled for E*Trade. I do not have it enabled. I am able to log onto the E*Trade website directly with no issues. I see no popup windows, the site doesn't ask me anything about two factor identification.
    >
    > Any ideas here? Is it just me or is this a widespread problem?

I've been having the same issue. I tried turning on 2-factor to no avail.
  • GBM9
    GBM9 Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue. CC-508. Started a few days ago.
  • db1234
    db1234 Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue. First noticed morning of 4/17. Continues to tell me there's a popup window on the e*trade site - which there is. The popup on the e*trade site says "We would like to ensure we have the most up-to-date records for your account. Please take a moment to confirm or update your contact information." I've confirmed, updated, added, deleted information on the site and the popup goes away each time, until I log-in again, then it's back. Not sure if others are seeing the popup.
  • GBM9
    GBM9 Member ✭✭
    db1234 - Yes I am seeing this pop up as well. I too can not get the pop up to clear. However, it does not appear to be the type of pop up that restricts progressing through the site. Still having same CC-508 error.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @GBM9

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

If you haven't done so already, please take a moment to review the steps and information available here.

If the steps do not resolve the issue, please contact Quicken Support for further assistance.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭✭
    Alright, interesting follow up.

So I went into the "Edit Details" for each of the three bank accounts and the one brokerage account I have with Etrade and I deactivated the online connection. I then went back to the "Edit Details" for one of the bank accounts and setup the online connection. This caused Quicken to find all four E*Trade accounts on the bank's system and let me "link to existing account" to re-establish the connection.

But something completely whacked happened to one of the bank accounts. Quicken created an "opening balance" transaction, giving me tens of thousands of dollars, for 18APR. Yet, this account is decades old. I have not opened or closed this account recently, nothing like that at all. So, with this new "opening balance" deposit, my Quicken ledger's ending balance was too high. Additionally, after having re-established the connection to E*Trade, quicken REMOVED a much older, from 2011, opening balance transaction that was negative. So by removing that negative opening balance transaction, in addition to creating a new opening balance transaction with a deposit, Quicken increased the ledger's Ending Balance.

I actually saw this happen twice, because before I fully realized what was happening and before following the above steps, I had rolled back once to a backup from a couple days ago. I saw this monkeying around with the opening balance transactions happen on my original file and also on the backup.

I will fix this, by adjusting the opening balance transactions.
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭✭
    Ha, just realized something even more interesting. Quicken created the opening balance transaction on 18APR. Well, the dollar amount SHOULD BE in the ledger's balance column. But it's not, it's in the deposit column.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @James J

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~