Clarification On how to use same Quicken file on two different PC's

I would like a little more information so I don't I corrupt my Qkn file.  I use Qkn on my desktop at home as my primary, and would like to take the same file on my laptop on the road to work with Qkn while I'm away. I make a Qkn back-up on my desktop on C:\Backup and on a USB drive. I then take that USB file, restore it into a Qkn folder/file on the laptop and opened it from there. My main question now is if I do updates or changes to that file from the laptop, how do I get the QKN file  back to my desktop without issues to use as my primary file again, and continue the process? I looked in the community for the answer, but there's several different explanations that eventually had me bring this back around for the latest conclusion since the Sync problems.  It's been my understanding that as long as the file is transferred into a quicken file/folder, then restored from there on the other PC, then you're good to go!?  Maybe some DO's AND Don't' s and a 1-2-3 list of the process would be great! Thanks

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You reverse the procedure: When you get home you make Qkn back-up on my laptop on C:\Backup and on a USB drive. I then take that USB file, restore it into a Qkn folder/file on the desktop and opened it from there. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    One recent change is that if you are going to move between the two machines frequently you should copy the data file between the two machines instead of Backup and Restore.  The reason is that it seems that every time you do a restore it creates a new "Quicken cloud data set", and there is a limited amount of them you can create.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Do FILE, Save a copy as ... and direct that new file to a USB drive, or such.
    Then, on the other computer, just open FROM the USB drive. And SAVE AS to the hard drive of the 2nd computer.
    Reverse the procedure when you're heading home.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You reverse the procedure: When you get home you make Qkn back-up on my laptop on C:\Backup and on a USB drive. I then take that USB file, restore it into a Qkn folder/file on the desktop and opened it from there. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    One recent change is that if you are going to move between the two machines frequently you should copy the data file between the two machines instead of Backup and Restore.  The reason is that it seems that every time you do a restore it creates a new "Quicken cloud data set", and there is a limited amount of them you can create.
    Signature:
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure exactly what you mean by...  "copy the data file between the two machines instead of Backup and Restore." 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Do FILE, Save a copy as ... and direct that new file to a USB drive, or such.
    Then, on the other computer, just open FROM the USB drive. And SAVE AS to the hard drive of the 2nd computer.
    Reverse the procedure when you're heading home.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I seem unappreciative of all 3 of you guys sometimes, but you really do help others a lot with Quicken. Wish I could take all 3 of you out for a beer or two or three some night, I'm getting cranky in my old age, please be patient.
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    All good information. Can someone put the info from all 3 of you in a Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 procedure to bring it all together for any / everybody to understand more clearly? Sorry I'm not getting any younger, there are 2 or 3 of us out here that are the epidemy of the word "Geriatric"
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    TJ102 said:
    All good information. Can someone put the info from all 3 of you in a Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 procedure to bring it all together for any / everybody to understand more clearly? Sorry I'm not getting any younger, there are 2 or 3 of us out here that are the epidemy of the word "Geriatric"
    Instructions for moving a Quicken file from a machine A to a machine B using a USB drive

Machine A:
    1. Exit Quicken.
    2. Plug in the USB drive.
    3. Open Windows File Explorer.
    4. Navigate to the Quicken folder.
    5. Copy the QDF file to the USB drive.
    6. Eject the USB drive.

Machine B:
    1. Plug in the USB drive.
    2. Open Windows File Explorer.
    3. Navigate to the USB drive.
    4. Copy the QDF file to the Quicken folder.
    5. Eject the USB drive.
    6. Open Quicken.
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    I know this isn't recommend by Quicken but many people on this forum & myself have used Quicken from an online service (Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox). They keep a folder on your computer and sync to the cloud.

I have been running Quicken with my Quicken file on OneDrive for many years without issue. I just pause syncing and log onto Quicken. I just make sure I don't have the file open at the same time with my laptop or desktop.

This seems so much easier than the suggestions above from the Experts. Just another thought.
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    The above steps don't address part 2 of the whole process, that being, returning the modified file to machine A, (the desktop). That is where the problem can occur that corrupts the file for the rest of time. I want to bring the changed file from the laptop (B)  back to the primary PC (A) to be able to use it as a new file (created on (B) before this whole process started to begin with, and move the next batch of new transactions again, and do the whole process again at a later time. I also remember reading something about how version updates play a role on both PC's. If that should be a concern, they were omitted in the steps above. Not to worry, I'll figure it out, but will other new users that may try in be successful with the process? I think everything in teaching & learning about Qkn should be geared toward new users having the information, and be able to understand the process. I think everyone that is associated with the quicken process should keep this in mind. It's new users that are gonna make or break the company! 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    TJ102 said:
    The above steps don't address part 2 of the whole process, that being, returning the modified file to machine A, (the desktop). That is where the problem can occur that corrupts the file for the rest of time. I want to bring the changed file from the laptop (B)  back to the primary PC (A) to be able to use it as a new file (created on (B) before this whole process started to begin with, and move the next batch of new transactions again, and do the whole process again at a later time. I also remember reading something about how version updates play a role on both PC's. If that should be a concern, they were omitted in the steps above. Not to worry, I'll figure it out, but will other new users that may try in be successful with the process? I think everything in teaching & learning about Qkn should be geared toward new users having the information, and be able to understand the process. I think everyone that is associated with the quicken process should keep this in mind. It's new users that are gonna make or break the company! 
    The instructions show how you may move a Quicken file from a machine A to a machine B using a USB drive.

When you want to bring the file from the laptop to the desktop, the laptop is machine A and the desktop is machine B.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

Removed because it isn't useful to original poster.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    jfclague said:
    I know this isn't recommend by Quicken but many people on this forum & myself have used Quicken from an online service (Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox). They keep a folder on your computer and sync to the cloud.

I have been running Quicken with my Quicken file on OneDrive for many years without issue. I just pause syncing and log onto Quicken. I just make sure I don't have the file open at the same time with my laptop or desktop.

This seems so much easier than the suggestions above from the Experts. Just another thought.
    My preferred approach is to use a remote desktop client.  I use Microsoft's Remote Desktop but there are many to choose from.  If you're networking challenged, you may want to consider using TeamViewer
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Since OneDrive is now pretty much baked in to the default Windows installation, I suspect most users are using it whether they know it or not since the Quicken folders default install location is under OneDrive. 

After recently acquiring a Surface tablet, I've been cautiously testing my production file in OneDrive with Quicken Cloud Sync Off.  Quicken is also installed on a desktop. It works fine in an either/or mode. I can use Quicken on either machine even with OneDrive not paused.  Being careful not to reopen the same file sooner than sync completes which for the most part is pretty fast.

I think both Quicken and OneDrive are getting better at co-existing.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

Removed because it isn't useful to original poster.
    Signature:
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    All well and good but what we need is a process from someone with some technical writing skills to lay out the answer to the question I had, so that there could be a conclusive steps to help those who don't care about the technical aspects, but just might like to be sure they're following an outline through steps a to b AND back again, THAT WILL WORK! This outline should be full encompassing, definitive in nature and be posted in a form so that the next user that asks the same question could be directed to that link. So do we have that link? After reading all the posts about my question above, I'm having a hard time saying yes. What are we doing wrong here? Can someone just create a simple link ,it's not rocket science, but rather some good old fashion writing sklills after the answer has been put together, to answer my original question. There's too much technical gobbley gook in this. As Det. Joe Friday used to say on Dragnet.... The facts ma'am, just the facts!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    TJ102 said:
    All well and good but all I wanted was a process from a technical writer to walk through the question I had, so that there could be script to help those who don't care about the technical aspects
    You were provided just such a process yesterday although you did not fully comprehend it at the time.  The discussion has clearly moved on to discuss other ways we may maintain a Quicken file using multiple networked machines.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    TJ102 said:
    All well and good but what we need is a process from someone with some technical writing skills to lay out the answer to the question I had, so that there could be a conclusive steps to help those who don't care about the technical aspects, but just might like to be sure they're following an outline through steps a to b AND back again, THAT WILL WORK! 
    Hello @TJ102

A Quicken Help Article that outlines this process does indeed already exist.  If you haven't already, please review the information available here.

Hope this helps,

Sarah
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    TJ102 said:
    All well and good but what we need is a process from someone with some technical writing skills to lay out the answer to the question I had, so that there could be a conclusive steps to help those who don't care about the technical aspects, but just might like to be sure they're following an outline through steps a to b AND back again, THAT WILL WORK! 
    Hello @TJ102

A Quicken Help Article that outlines this process does indeed already exist.  If you haven't already, please review the information available here.

Hope this helps,

Sarah
    I'd submit that the following support article is more relevant, but slightly outdated in that at least with respect to OneDrive, the files are actually stored locally on each computer, but update and sync against the cloud stored file.  Local storage mitigates the issue of latency caused file corruption from networked file use.
    Can I share my Quicken file between multiple computers using Dropbox? | Quicken
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Thanks Sarah. I wonder why the Super Users didn't just refer me to a link that would take me to the information you supplied. That would have been so simple! The information was right in front of our noses, and exactly what I was looking for. I'm surprised as Super Users that they weren't aware of it's existence! This is what has made me skeptical and untrusting of the the support system, especially when I lost 5 years of data last Oct, locked up my data sets, then support had the audacity to tell me it was something I did!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    TJ102 said:
    I wonder why the Super Users didn't just refer me to a link that would take me to the information you supplied. 
    And I wonder how many SuperUsers to respond to any more of your questions.
    Signature:
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    If that is the way you guys work, fine with me please don't. Hours were spent when it could have been minutes. My time is worth more than what I got in help! Quicken has cost me more in lost time and lost productivity than I even want to try to account for, not to speak of the fact my wife's been begging me to look at options to Quicken. I've found one that if I kick off tomorrow, she could handle, unlike Quicken. And before you give a negative comment back, she's smart enough to be be a Geneticist for UCH health, but I'd never wish Quicken upon her. She has found another financial program that works perfectly for her with no stress. I've tried to support you guys, most recently when I  stated that the Superusers should be the ones heading up the sync issues instead of support & developers, But you might have missed that! Wish I had a quarter for every minute I spent with Quicken issues the last 20 years. I could buy each of you guys a new Z06, with money and time left over to take my wife to dinner! Sync will never work correctly. and there needs to be a new CEO, then things will get straightened out.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    TJ102 said:
    Thanks Sarah. I wonder why the Super Users didn't just refer me to a link that would take me to the information you supplied. That would have been so simple! The information was right in front of our noses, and exactly what I was looking for. I'm surprised as Super Users that they weren't aware of it's existence! This is what has made me skeptical and untrusting of the the support system, especially when I lost 5 years of data last Oct, locked up my data sets, then support had the audacity to tell me it was something I did!
    Unfortunately, if you follow the guidance provided by @Quicken Sarah and use Restore from Backup File..., you may experience the Exceeded the maximum number of data sets issue @Chris_QPW raised.

If you recall where you started, you already knew how to perform the transfer using a backup.  What you didn't comprehend was what you needed to do to move the file back.  I, for one, didn't see a need to confuse you further with the support document.

You have been provided with the simple instructions you requested to show you how to move the Quicken file between the machines without using Backup and Restore.  
  • oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, I don't know who to listen to anymore. For the sake of the user, I'd like to think that you and her would be on the same page with  this stuff  and that is exactly why I don't know who to believe anymore.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    TJ102 said:
    Frankly, I don't know who to listen to anymore. For the sake of the user, I'd like to think that you and her would be on the same page with  this stuff  and that is exactly why I don't know who to believe anymore.
    The information provided in this discussion is not contradictory.  You may believe all of us.
This discussion has been closed.