Is there a way to hide the Uncategorized transaction from the "transactions" view in SPENDING tab?

Miguel
Miguel Member ✭✭
Hi
I am using Canadian v28.15.
Sometimes I have uncaterogirzed transactions which I do not want or cannot assign to a category from my regular spending list (like bank adjustment, etc).
I would like to remove or hide it so I can concentrate only in the categories I am interested to see in that particular view (the pie chart). This is for the pre-build view, "Transactions" under Spending. It only let me filter the account and date ranges, but not categories.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Miguel
    Miguel Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks UKR. Seems to be working now.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I can see no way of doing that in my US version so I'd expect that the Canadian version works the same.
    If the Uncategorized transactions are so numerous that they represent a big slice of that pie then I have to say that "you're doing it wrong" since Quicken is an accounting program that expects each transaction in an Account will be a "balanced" entry with Categories or Accounts offsetting the total amount of the dollars in the transaction. 
    If you don't want to Categorize many of your transactions, well it's your file and you certainly can do what you want.  Maybe instead of concentrating on the pie graph you should instead run one of the "Reports" available here - "Spending by Category" would be a good one - customize the report to the same period shown on the Spending dashboard and customize the report such that "Not categorized" isn't included.  Then click on the "Show Graph" button.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To "hide" a transaction so it doesn't appear as either Income or Expense, you can do what Quicken does with an account's Opening Balance. For example, the Opening Balance transaction in your MyChecking account has Category = [MyChecking] *
    You can do the same in your transactions, but, IMHO, you should do so sparingly.
    For budgeting purposes I concur with @Tom Young. You should use an "Uncategorized Income" and an "Uncategorized Misc. Expense" category. That will show you the real bottom line every month, how much you have in Total Income vs. Total Expense 

* that's called a "transfer back into the same account" and is OK when Quicken prompts you while saving such a transaction.

• Miguel
    Miguel Member ✭✭
    HI UKR. For some reason this "MyChecking account has Category = [MyChecking]"did not work for me. Those transaction show up as uncategorized.. odd, but it is happening.
    Thank you very much
  • Tom Young
    I'd expect the Canadian product to work the same as the US product here.  The attached screenshot shows a Checking Account with a self-referencing Opening Balance entry on 4/21 and then a 4/22 $250 cost, also entered as a self-referencing entry.  Right below that is a Spending Report for those two days with neither entry showing up.  Looking at the Spending tab for that same period identifies no Uncategorized transactions.

• Miguel
    Miguel Member ✭✭
    Thank you Tom. But I was referring to this view: (see image attached)
  • Tom Young
    I was too:

• Miguel
    Miguel Member ✭✭
    ok. I see. Is ehe [Checking] category a pre-build category or did you created it.?? I asked you because when I try to enter [checking] Quicken says Account does not exist.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miguel,
    you need to replace the example names given by @Tom and myself, [MyChecking] or [Checking], with the actual name of  your checking account, whatever that may be.
  • Tom Young
    " Is ehe [Checking] category a pre-build category or did you created it.?? I asked you because when I try to enter [checking] Quicken says Account does not exist"
    @UKR will set you straight.
    I did find that the Report I mentioned above - "Spending by Category" - will give you exactly what you're asking for without having to use the self-referencing transaction trick.  Set it up, save it and you're good to go.
  • Miguel
    Miguel Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks UKR. Seems to be working now.
This discussion has been closed.