Using more than one Investment Bank Quicken download service

BJB
BJB Member ✭✭✭
I have used Quicken links to Investment banks for years and work great. Weather web connect, direct connect, whatever they use.

I now have a service that combines positions from various banks in a secure manner but they also use the quicken interface.

My question is will that "confuse" the quicken program link to the service? So if I download to Quicken say weekly, and look at the other service say daily, after a week will Quicken still download a weeks worth of transactions?

Thanks,
BJB

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @BJB,

I agree with Splasher who above indicated that we are unable to give you a definitive answer due to the lack of complete information.  However since you referred to "downloading" activity by this other portal, it seems like there certainly is a possibility that it could interfere with Quicken. 

I would suggest that you make a good backup of your Quicken datafile before you proceed any further, and after that you should experiment with using various functions of the portal and also continue with Quicken downloading to see if any issues arise.  If they do, you can revert to the backup.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @BJB,

It sounds as though you are using some type of web portal to view your various accounts - which are presumably held in accounts at more than one financial institution - is that what you are describing?  If so, did the setup for this portal require that you change your passwords, or make any other changes that could affect Quicken's ability to connect with the various financial institutions?  If you changed passwords - you would obviously need to update those in Quicken.  

You have called this a "download service" - is that how the provider describes it?  Have you tried to download data into Quicken since you've setup this "download service"?  If so, did it work?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    @Frankx,

Yes, you've got it. It is a portal that consolidates accounts from a reputable source. No it has no control over me changing my passwords and they did not change. It does specifically say it uses the quicken protocol to download positions.

My question is will this service be kept separate from the quicken from a "last downlaod" standpoint.

Thanks,
    BJB
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would assist use in answering your question is you'd name this  service.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without knowing which financial institution you are referring to, the downloads from the FI should only include that particular FI and should not be affected.  After the initial download from the FI, Quicken requests data based on the date of the last download from the FI to Q.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    @NotACPA,

I apologize I cannot share that at this time. The investment banks are large ones.

@BJB
  • BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    @splasher,
    Thank you.
    @BJB
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BJB said:
    @NotACPA,

I apologize I cannot share that at this time. The investment banks are large ones.

@BJB

These Consolidators don't all work in the same way.  So, we can't provide more specific help until you name the consolidator.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BJB
    Unless you are the only customer of the FI, how can telling us which one it is be detrimental?
    Good luck with your situation, you are making it impossible for us to give you a definitive answer.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    If you are talking about setting up your account at a brokerage to show outside accounts, that does not (or I ought to say should not) affect Quicken's ability to download transactions from those accounts.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @BJB,

I agree with Splasher who above indicated that we are unable to give you a definitive answer due to the lack of complete information.  However since you referred to "downloading" activity by this other portal, it seems like there certainly is a possibility that it could interfere with Quicken. 

I would suggest that you make a good backup of your Quicken datafile before you proceed any further, and after that you should experiment with using various functions of the portal and also continue with Quicken downloading to see if any issues arise.  If they do, you can revert to the backup.

Frankx

• BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    @Frankx,
    Understood. Thanks for your good input. I was going to test by backing up and then downloading...waiting for some transactions for a few days and then doing it again. I know I said downloading but it really just presenting positions not at the transaction level.

@splasher,
    No need to get testy, if you cannot help with the information provided, no need to, totally understand. The other input here has been very helpful.

@BJB
  • BJB
    BJB Member ✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman,
    Thanks to you too. I didn't think people would get upset because at this time I cannot share the name :)
    I appreciate your input. I think you may have helped me in the past, always appreciated.

@BJB
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you at least state WHY you can't share the name of the consolidator?