Market Value of Mortgage-Based Securities is Incorrect

GolferJim
GolferJim Member
When I download bundled mortgage-based security transactions from my investment company (Charles Schwab) Quicken calculates incorrect values because it ignores the pool factor. Anyone know how that can be fixed?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    The same basic question was asked here
    and I gave the best answer I could given the fact that I've never owned a mortgage-backed security.
    Since there's no field to hold a "factor" to determine a market price in Quicken it seems to me you have to derive the correct number to put into the price quote field.
    Question to you: are distributions to you from the CMO/REMIC split between  principal and interest or is that all handled in the year-end reporting?
  • GolferJim
    GolferJim Member
    CMO/REMIC doesn't come into play for me since these holdings are in an IRA account, so any $$ I take out is treated as regular income. Also, I realize there is no Quicken field for the pool factor, but I was hoping a question here might trigger some thought on their part to include it. Trying to derive the correct number myself is not a realistic option. We're talking about a managed investment account (PIMCO Total Return) with 40-50 mortgage bundles, all with different pool factors, and changing on a regular basis. Right now if I want to know what the investment is actually worth my only option is to ignore Quicken and log into my Schwab account.
  • scraig
    scraig Member
    I have the same complaint as GolferJim. I also hold a managed fixed income account with my broker, and there are FNMA/FHLMC -backed securities that require the FACTOR in order to calculate the correct market value in Quicken. I can do a one time work-around to adjust the price, but this has to be done for each security individually and gets undone with the next One Step Update. I use Deluxe and wonder if Premier has this added functionality? If it does not, then INTUIT/QUICKEN need to upgrade their products to incorporate this. These securities have been around long enough to warrant a serious upgrade from Quicken! Let's go INTUIT...let's get into the 21st century!!
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    " I use Deluxe and wonder if Premier has this added functionality?"
    It does not.
    "If it does not, then INTUIT/QUICKEN need to upgrade their products to incorporate this."
    You can post this as an idea and see if it gets any traction.  Write up the request, post it, change it to an idea by clicking on the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner.

• GolferJim
    GolferJim Member
    Sadly, Tom, this functionality does not exist in any level of Quicken. I use Home & Business, the top of their line.