Why does sidebar investment account market value not match Holdings" value total which is accurate?

Options
rlebrun
rlebrun Member ✭✭
In one investment account Holdings display, the share quantity and market value of each investment matches that of the financial institution as does the total value. However, on the sidebar, the account balance is off significantly. Why is that and how does it get fixed? Thanks.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @rlebrun

Can you tell us what you mean by significantly - is it millions, thousands, hundreds off?  Also is the amount shown on the sidebar (also know as the "Account Bar") higher or lower than the actual account balance and how long ago did this problem start?  And lastly which versions of both Quicken and Windows are you using?

Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To get started, I have two suggestions:
    1)  Click on the Gear icon at the top right of the Accounts sidebar and make sure that "Show Current Balance in Account Bar" is checked.
    2)  In the account register:
    • Upper right Gear icon > Reconcile shares:  Does it say that the shares in Quicken are in agreement with what the Financial Institution (FI) has downloaded to Quicken?  If not, it will identify which securities are out of sync and by how many shares.  Make note of any discrepancies identified.
    • Assuming you have the Cash Balance of the account included in the register and not kept in a separate linked Checking account:  Click on the blue underlined Cash Balance on the right below the register.  Does the popup show the investment account cash balance and the cash balance as downloaded by the FI are in agreement?  If not, make note of the numbers for each.
    Let me know what happened per the above and who the broker is we can then perhaps identify which troubleshooting steps need to be taken.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• rlebrun
    rlebrun Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions. "The show current balance in account bar" was checked. There is no cash balance and the register investment shares were in sync with the financial institution. Looking at the register again, I noticed some placeholder entries that I had voided several months ago. Even though they were a voided, I thought perhaps they were causing the problem so i deleted them and presto - the sidebar account is now accurate.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me on this, @rlebrun .  Two of the most common issues for this have to do with how the broker manages and reports cash with the other being placeholders.  The questions I'd asked were intended to identify which of these it might be so we could take the appropriate troubleshooting path.  I'm glad you got it figured out.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.