Not long ago, all of my "split" transactions disappeared. There were many years of them.

Options
The transactions are all still there, but instead of having all of the detail of the split transactions, only the net amounts remain. For instance, for years I have posted all of the details of my paychecks...gross, less fed tax, less FICA, less Medicare, less state taxes, etc. So, the post still shows the amount deposited into my bank account but none of the detail as to how that amount was arrived at. Does anyone know what might have happened and how to correct it? I called Quicken technical support. They were very helpful but weren't able to solve my problem. The problem seemed to occur at about the same time that I was setting up the new Quicken Bill Pay.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Before restoring a Quicken file backup (or opening an earlier version of a Quicken file), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts, enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

This is necessary because when we open or restore an another version of the Quicken file with the same file identifier, Quicken is not resetting the cloud account appropriately at this time.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed this issue, but for now before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded, delete the cloud account.  

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.
  • tjelsner
    tjelsner Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response, Sherlock. I'm not sure I understand it and am not sure I know how to implement it. Would I have to go back to a backup before the split transactions disappeared and then work forward from there? I restored several backups at the time I discovered this in an attempt to correct it. I went back several weeks and never saw my split transactions come back. I'm a 69 year old guy just trying to keep my finances straight. If there is a problem like this, why doesn't Quicken seem to know about it and why can't they come up with a fix for it?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tjelsner said:
    Thank you for your response, Sherlock. I'm not sure I understand it and am not sure I know how to implement it. Would I have to go back to a backup before the split transactions disappeared and then work forward from there? I restored several backups at the time I discovered this in an attempt to correct it. I went back several weeks and never saw my split transactions come back. I'm a 69 year old guy just trying to keep my finances straight. If there is a problem like this, why doesn't Quicken seem to know about it and why can't they come up with a fix for it?
    As the issue appeared not long ago, it should not be too difficult to locate a Quicken file backup that does not have the issue.  I suspect the issue was triggered by a sync with a corrupt cloud account.

My understanding is Quicken does know about the issue and has been attempting to address it.  I think it is unlikely they'll be able to fix the corruption once it hits the Quicken file.