Can I use Quicken in the UK?

Hi, I would like to manage my personal finances in the UK.

I would like to work mainly on a Windows 10 laptop; sometimes on iOS on an iPhone.

I must be able to...
- stay secure
- import transactions from UK banks and credit cards through Open Banking
- categorise transactions, with user-defined categories
- export accounts to Excel

Can you do this for me?

If so, which product version do you recommend?

Thanks,

Hedake

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    While you CAN use Q in the UK, you won't be able to import transactions from UK banks.  Only US and CDN banks have been recruited by Quicken/Intuit to provide this service.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    While you CAN use Q in the UK, you won't be able to import transactions from UK banks.  Only US and CDN banks have been recruited by Quicken/Intuit to provide this service.

• Hedake
    Hedake Member
    I want to and can not use Quicken for my UK banks.
    How else / next best?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You stated that you MUST be able to import from UK banks, since no Quicken version can do that, you'll need to look for other products, which can't be mentioned here as this forum is sponsored by Quicken.
    Try a GOOGLE search for "Personal financial manager"

• Hedake
    Hedake Member
    Any chance Quicken UK bank connections coming soon?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hedake said:
    Even though Quicken Inc never states what they are going to do, I think it is pretty clear they have no intention of expanding to other countries.

Note the one possible way to import transactions would be in QIF format, but even that is pretty “broken”.
    As in QIF file imports go directly into the register without any processing and as such will not match to any transactions that have been pre entered into the register.  It also means no renaming of the payees or using the payees to categorize the transactions.  The later two problems can be worked around by doing this renaming/categorization outside of Quicken because the category (and of course payee name) can be imported through the QIF file with a program like my ImportQIF which you can find at:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. If I was going to try using Quicken in the UK since no online features will be supported, I would probably just use Quicken 2013 which you can get for free and is the last version of Quicken that has no online requirements like a Quicken Id or subscription.

You can find the link to download Quicken 2013 in the section for Quicken 2004 to 2009 in this article.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken
    Signature:
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Hedake said:
    Quicken almost never talks about future plans publicly, but we have been told there are no plans to expand beyond the US and Canada in the foreseeable future. You will either have to use Quicken and enter your transactions manually or find different software.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. @jacobs posting reminded me this thread is in a category that might apply to both Windows or Mac.  The answer on how to import QIF files I gave is a Quicken Windows only answer.  Quicken Mac doesn’t import QIF files.
    Signature:
  • Hedake
    Hedake Member
    To Chris_QPW of 12:46,

If Quicken do not state what they are going to do, I ask myself what persuades you to think that it is "pretty clear they have no intention of expanding to other countries"? [No need to answer].

You gave us information about importing and exporting via .QIF format. Your comments were detailed, honest, informative and beautiful, and I do not want to try it.

Thank you for the chat.

Hedake.

PS to yours of 12:51...
    I prefer software which is more robustly integrated.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I’m going to answer your question anyways.   ;)

At one time Intuit licensed Quicken in the UK.  They withdrew that license in 2004.  Note this wasn’t a “universal” version of Quicken, it was one coded to only support UK.

A few years ago ago Intuit sold Quicken off and the new company is called Quicken Inc, but the start of that company was most of the old Quicken department at Intuit.  What “stayed” is the services for downloading transactions.
    Quicken Inc pays Intuit for that service.  Quicken Inc in fact is too small of a company to support all of the financial institutions and is pretty much stuck with what Intuit will provide.  So in a way it is more about what Intuit wants to provide than what Quicken Inc wants, but on the Quicken side I can tell you that Quicken Windows US would have to be modified because currently it will not download transactions in anything other than USD.  QIF is an exception because it is just “numbers” no currency.  But that isn’t true of OFX downloads which do have the currency in them.

So in fact there is a long history of not providing such a service.  And coupled with the fact that the current company seems hard pressed just to support what they are doing now, it would be extremely surprising that all of the sudden they announce support for the rest of the world.
    Signature:
  • Hedake
    Hedake Member
    I'm listening.

In the UK, Open Banking is common and becoming almost a requirement. So downloading transactions is nothing new, and plenty of companies do it without the help of Intuit.

Is it possible that Quicken Inc could modify Quicken Windows US to interpret established international Open Banking protocols already used by TransferWise etc and extend to Quicken Windows UK?

If not, expect Chicken.

Guess where that comes from.

Hedake.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't have to guess about Quicken's intentions. This question has been explicitly answered.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    We don't have to guess about Quicken's intentions. This question has been explicitly answered.
    Well as I read that I think that is the "current policy", but what was asked was their future policies, which of course none of us (maybe even Quicken Inc) can't really answer, but we can certainly "see the writing on the wall".

@Hedake Every company has to decide what they think they can sell and support so that they can make a profit.
    Just because a market is available and it is possible for Quicken to be extended to take advantage of that market doesn't mean that it would be a good choice for Quicken Inc.  And of course only they can decide that.
    Signature:
  • Hedake
    Hedake Member
    We sometimes see "writing on the wall". That is what walls are about.

That does not mean it is going to hapen.

Depends on the wall.

Hedake.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It has been shared by Quicken management that they do not have plans to expand beyond the US and Canada. Feel free to question or doubt that if you wish; it’s what I have read.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.