How do I import data from Wells Fargo into a specific account in Quicken Premier

Tim McBrayer
Tim McBrayer Member ✭✭
You can only download data as a .qfx file or a .csv file. I can't figure out how download either type and then convert it so that Quicken Premier will allow me to bring it into a specific account (checking or credit card).

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    You might want to read up on the types of connection methods that are available and how to set up those connections:  Connection Types in Quicken [Support Article].
    The connection method you describe is called Web Connect (WC)....manual download of transactions data in .qfx format (cannot use .csv for this).  There is nothing for your to convert.  Quicken will manage that process and during the file import process Quicken should prompt you to select whether you want a new account added to Quicken for it or if you want to Link it to a manual account that you already have set up in Quicken.
    To make sure that you get the right kind of assistance on how to proceed with this:
    • Please confirm whether your are using Quicken for Mac or Quicken for Windows. 
    • What version (revision) are you using?
    • When does your subscription expire?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Tim McBrayer
    Tim McBrayer Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your quick response. I actually figured out how to do it not long after I requested help. I am using Quicken Premier for Mac. I was using Quicken 2007 on my Mac for many years and only upgraded recently. Now I have a new question. In Q2007 once I opened up an account like a CC or checking and see the transactions I imported or I download more recent files directly from Wells Fargo on the far left side of the window are blue dots. In the old version of Quicken when I made sure the payee name, category and any notes were correct and hit the enter button the blue dot would disappear and Quicken would go to the next transaction. If I had several transactions in a row that had correct data I could keep hitting the enter key and the blue dots would keep disappearing as I went from one transaction to another. But in the version I am using now I don't see the blue dots disappearing and I can't just hit enter and go from one transaction to the next if everything is correct. What am I missing, how do I get rid of the blue dots and why would Quicken take away that shortcut if indeed they have?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Sorry, but my QM expertise is very limited.  My questions above were to mainly to confirm which Edition you are using so you can get response from someone with the appropriate expertise.  Someone with good QM insight and expertise will likely respond soon.  (Maybe one of these days I'll buy a Mac but I can't seem to cross that hurdle since I was a long-time Dell employee and Dell and Apple didn't play together very well.  :smiley: )

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2021
    @Tim McBrayer As you've seen, with an account connected to a financial institution for downloading, a blue dot appears in the Status column for all downloaded transactions. (You might also see an orange pencil if you manually enter a transaction in a connected account; the pencil will turn blue if the transaction was manually entered and matched with a downloaded transaction.)

Short answer: Enter/Return in Quicken Mac opens a transaction for editing, which is why it can't be used to clear the status. Instead, use Option-R (for "reviewed") followed by down arrow.

More detailed answer: After you've reviewed some or all downloaded transactions, there are several ways to mark them as reviewed.

One-by-one: After you review at each transaction, click on the blue icon and select Mark as Reviewed from the pop-up menu. The key command for this is Option-R. (To reverse this if you click on by mistake, Shift-Option-R restores the blue dot.) 

All at once: If you have reviewed all of the newly downloaded transactions and want to mark all of them reviewed at once, click on the blue icon and select Mark All Reviewed from the pop-up menu.

Selectively: To clear multiple transactions of your choosing, select all the transactions you want to clear. This followed standard Mac conventions for selecting multiple items:
    • If there are a contiguous block of them, click on the first, and Shift-click on the last; they'll all become highlighted.
    • Select individual transactions independently by Command-clicking on each one you want; each one you Command-click will add to the transactions highlighted.
    Once you have the transactions selected you want to mark as cleared, Control-Click on any selected transaction and select Set Status of Selected Transactions to > Reviewed from the pop-up menu -- or just use the Option-R shortcut.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.