Capital One Card Services stopped downloading transactions after 4/6/2021

My last successful download was on April 6th. Since then, no new transactions have been downloaded from Capital One to Quicken. The One Step Update does not report any errors and other accounts are happily downloading and updating.

I'm a Windows user, on a quicken subscription.

Any ideas? Is there an open incident on this? (I saw another Cap One open issue related to billpayer.)

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I had a problem with Cap One stopping downloads to my credit card account about that same time.  I fixed it by doing one of the following (I can't remember which one).  If you have not already done so you might want to try doing them to see if one of them fixes the issue for you, too.  I suggest trying #1 first and only proceed to #2 if #1 does not resolve the issue for you.:
    1. Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Reset Account.
    2. Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate > Set up Now > follow the prompts.  During the set up process Quicken might prompt you to what to do with the data downloaded into Quicken.  Make sure you Link it to your existing account in Quicken or it might set up a new account in Quicken.  Quicken might also enter transactions into your account register that are duplicates of what is already there.  If this happens, simply delete the duplicate transactions.
    Did either of these procedures resolve the issue for you?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    I had a problem with Cap One stopping downloads to my credit card account about that same time.  I fixed it by doing one of the following (I can't remember which one).  If you have not already done so you might want to try doing them to see if one of them fixes the issue for you, too.  I suggest trying #1 first and only proceed to #2 if #1 does not resolve the issue for you.:
    1. Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Reset Account.
    2. Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate > Set up Now > follow the prompts.  During the set up process Quicken might prompt you to what to do with the data downloaded into Quicken.  Make sure you Link it to your existing account in Quicken or it might set up a new account in Quicken.  Quicken might also enter transactions into your account register that are duplicates of what is already there.  If this happens, simply delete the duplicate transactions.
    Did either of these procedures resolve the issue for you?

• Jeff W
    Jeff W Member ✭✭
    Thanks Boatnmaniac. The reset (option 1) worked.
    I did experience a weird secondary issue with the reset changing my opening balance. This caused my reconcile to be off and an hour of time to trace down what it had done. It took me 3 restores to recreate exactly what happened. I simply changed my opening balance back to the original amount and date. Now all is well.
  • Boatnmaniac
    You are welcome.  I am glad it worked for you.
    Usually, Reset does not cause the type of issue you encountered but sometimes it will also cause a change to something else in the process where Quicken is not able to recognize and disregard part of the new download because it was previously downloaded.  When that happens it can take a while to sort it out.  (This type of thing is more likely to happen with Deactivate/Reactivate process which is why I suggested not doing that unless Reset failed to fix the problem.)   Have a great day!

• Score one for Boatnmaniac! I too saw my Capital One downloads cease on April 19, 2021 with no error messages shown. I tried your option 1; I simply had to sign in again using a secondary proof of ownership (no big deal). It looks like Capital One periodically asks account owners to perform this task -good idea. Thanks very much!