how to edit type of account - roth vs brokerage vs IRA

pamela77
pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
Hello, I linked a few new accounts into my quicken today - not new accounts but new to quicken. I designated them as roth, IRA and brokerage when I connected and named them, but quicken has put the roth and IRA accounts under brokerage heading on the account list rather than retirement. How can I change that please?

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    There is a known issue where the account types are being changed when the account is downloaded. Nothing you can do about it now, but it should be fixed in a future update.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well thank you for answering so quickly! Saved me a lot of time trying to figure out what I did wrong🤪
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Some people have had success disconnecting the account(s) from downloads, changing the account type, then reconnecting, and the account type sticks -- but I don't think this has worked for everyone. So you might wait a little, as the calendar would suggest a new release is likely relatively soon, and you can see if the issue is fixed in the next release.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    In most cases with Quicken Mac, it's fine to update immediately, but it's never a bad idea to wait at least a day or two after a new release, just to make sure they don't suddenly discover a new bug and need to update the update. ;)

When Quicken has a new update, they always do "staged releases", where it will offer to download to the first thousand (or whatever number they set) users and then stop. The developers monitor this site and calls to Quicken Support to see if any problems pop up immediately with the new release which weren't caught in internal or beta testing. If there are no problems, they release the update to another thousand or more users and pause again. If no significant issue surface at this point, they open the gates so the download is offered to all users. (This is generally a great idea, but one issue is that when you see a notice of a new version being available, you don't know if you're the 10th or 10,000th person; I wish they controlled the messaging so you'd know "this is a limited early release of this new version; if you want to wait until others have used it for a few days, just don't select the button to download the update at this time.")
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    There is a known issue where the account types are being changed when the account is downloaded. Nothing you can do about it now, but it should be fixed in a future update.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well thank you for answering so quickly! Saved me a lot of time trying to figure out what I did wrong🤪
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Some people have had success disconnecting the account(s) from downloads, changing the account type, then reconnecting, and the account type sticks -- but I don't think this has worked for everyone. So you might wait a little, as the calendar would suggest a new release is likely relatively soon, and you can see if the issue is fixed in the next release.
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you Jacobs, I usually wait when there is a new release to see if there are problems with it. Maybe I should do that only with the big releases, but not for the little adjustments?
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    In most cases with Quicken Mac, it's fine to update immediately, but it's never a bad idea to wait at least a day or two after a new release, just to make sure they don't suddenly discover a new bug and need to update the update. ;)

When Quicken has a new update, they always do "staged releases", where it will offer to download to the first thousand (or whatever number they set) users and then stop. The developers monitor this site and calls to Quicken Support to see if any problems pop up immediately with the new release which weren't caught in internal or beta testing. If there are no problems, they release the update to another thousand or more users and pause again. If no significant issue surface at this point, they open the gates so the download is offered to all users. (This is generally a great idea, but one issue is that when you see a notice of a new version being available, you don't know if you're the 10th or 10,000th person; I wish they controlled the messaging so you'd know "this is a limited early release of this new version; if you want to wait until others have used it for a few days, just don't select the button to download the update at this time.")
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you
  • Critter2kdz
    Critter2kdz Member ✭✭
    Similar, though a little different - I just converted a Quicken Windows file to Mac and it moved an account from retirement to brokerage. I don't download transactions, so the account isn't connected to anything external. Any different ideas about how to put this account back where it belongs?
  • jacobs
    @Critter2kdzWhat type of account is this? IRA? What happens when you open the Settings for this account? Is the Type field grayed out or locked preventing you from changing it to the proper retirement type of account? 
This discussion has been closed.