Transaction entered manually on desktop does not appear on web app, but balance changes

After 32 years of using Quicken for DOS and then Windows (currently on version R32.12) I ventured to try out the web app, thinking that maybe they have fixed the bugs by now. Apparently not. My problem is that test transactions that I enter on the desktop do not appear on the web app. If I click the Refresh All button on the web app the balance for the account changes to match the desktop, but the transaction does not show up on the list. Closing the browser and reopening it and logging in again does not help. The reverse does work - if I enter a transaction on the web app and then choose Cloud Sync from the desktop Mobile & Web menu then the transaction does appear on the desktop.

Things I have tried:
1. Doing a file validate and repair
2. Resetting the cloud data (tried this twice). This makes the web app match the desktop, but even then, newly added transactions on the desktop don't appear on the web app.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Jeff Bean

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue although, I apologize that you have not received a response. I begin by checking the following two details.

Are you using the same Quicken ID?
    First, verify that you are signed into the correct Quicken ID. The Quicken ID you sign into on the Mobile App needs to be the same one you use in Quicken on your computer. To verify the Quicken ID in Quicken on your computer, go to Edit > Preferences then Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts. On the Mobile App, sign out (located in Settings) then sign back in using the same Quicken ID you just confirmed you're using on your computer.

Are you viewing the correct data file?
    After signing into the Mobile App, you will be given a list of data files associated with your Quicken ID. Here you can select which data file from Quicken on your computer you want to view on the Mobile App. If you are missing transactions on the Mobile App, make certain you are viewing the same data file you have open on your computer. 

Using a different Quicken ID or viewing a different data file can give the appearance that information is missing from the mobile app.

Please let us know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Jeff Bean
    Jeff Bean Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, I checked that the Quicken ID and data file were the same. I am quite certain that is not the problem since it is clear that some data is being synced. Transactions entered online would appear on the desktop. Transactions entered on the desktop would change the account balance on the web, but the transaction itself would not appear. This could not happen if the Quicken ID or data files were different.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Jeff Bean

Thank you for the response and the additional details. What type of account is this happening with? What type of transaction are you entering?

Is this a split transaction by chance? If not, what is the name of the category being used? The more information you can provide the better able to assist the Community will be.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Jeff Bean
    Jeff Bean Member ✭✭✭
    I tried this with three accounts. The first is a credit card account where I entered a $10 and $11 charge using category "Miscellaneous" or "Dining" (no splits). The second is a bank savings account, with a $10 withdrawal using category "Miscellaneous". The third is a Cash Management (checking) account at Fidelity, with a $12 withdrawal using category "Miscellaneous". In all cases, after resynching, the account balance on the web changes but the transaction entered on the desktop does not appear.

I have tried entirely deleting the data file on the web and then rebuilding it. That makes no difference. In order to do this, because I only had one data file, I had to create an empty data file on the desktop, open it, enable mobile synching, then delete the original main file using Edit/Preferences/Mobile & Web, and finally reopen the original data file and reset the web data file.

A bit about my data file. It is old (32 years), large (134 megabytes) and has around 50 accounts. Only 13 accounts are active, the rest are old, inactive, hidden and have zero balances.

One peculiarity I noticed. On the first One Step update after initially creating the web data file, or resetting it, I get a one time message at the top of the update progress window that says "Your data is being synched to our improved cloud service". I have attached a screenshot that shows it. The message does not appear on subsequent One Step updates.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Jeff Bean

Thank you for the response, although I apologize that this trouble continues to persist.

I have one last test I would like to perform. I would like to next create a test file to see if this behavior continues in a new file. This test will help further isolate the issue being related to the file or cloud sync.

To create a test file, please navigate to File > New Quicken File... Once in a new file please add an account and a few transactions to see if you are able to recreate this issue.

Please let me know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Jeff Bean
    Jeff Bean Member ✭✭✭
    Good idea. I used the new, empty data file, that I mentioned in my previous post. I added my Citi credit card account, let it download a couple of months worth of transactions, and accepted them all once. I then enabled the Mobile & Web feature and synched the data file to the web. I logged into the web app and it showed me the new test file with the Citi credit card account. I then went back to the desktop, entered a single $10 test transaction and synched again. Went to the web app, clicked the update button and the balance updated AND the transaction appeared.

Just to be sure I wasn't crazy I went back to the desktop, opened my main data file, entered another test transaction and synched to the web. Went to the web app, clicked the Profile button on the bottom left to switch to the main data file and clicked the update button again. The balance for the Citi account updated but the transaction did NOT appear.

So there is definitely something peculiar about my particular data file that is preventing transactions from synchronizing to the web app.
  • Jeff Bean
    Jeff Bean Member ✭✭✭
    Here is a list of some more things I have tried in my attempt to have transactions entered on the desktop appear on the web app:

1. Did a year end copy operation, deleting all transactions before Jan 1 2010
    2. Deleted all categories that were not used in any transactions
    3. Deleted all renaming rules that were not commonly used
    4. Deleted all old inactive accounts
    5. Super-validated the file.
    6, Exported a QXF file, then deleted all non-investment accounts, then imported the QXF file.

None of these steps improved the situation at all. Transactions entered on the desktop changed the balance in the web app, but the transaction failed to appear.

Note that I also imported the QXF file mentioned above into an empty Quicken data file and then synched to the web. In that case transactions entered on the desktop DID appear on the web app. But that is an unacceptable solution since investment accounts don't get exported and I would lose 30 years of investment transactions.

At this point I am stymied. Anybody have any other suggestions?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Jeff Bean

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Being that the issue you are experiencing can have multiple causes-- It may be best for you to contact Quicken Support instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done in order to have this successfully resolved. They also have the ability to screen share with you (if you feel comfortable doing so) and will be better equipped to help you accomplish and set up what you need.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

This discussion has been closed.