How do I export data from my Thrift saving plan account?

Options
Trying to add my TSP account to quicken for investment tracking. I can't figure out how to export the data from TSP to quicken.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    If I recall correctly,you can't.  Because the Trustees of TSP have never signed the contract with Q/Intuit to allow such.
    You can download and import the quotes ... with a fair amount of work ... but not the transactions.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mint & Personal Capital do screen scrapes of the TSP website, with your permission but NOT TSP's permission or knowledge.
    Q's business model requires that TSP (and any other financial institution) sign a contract before data transfers can occur.
    BUG TSP to sign the contract.

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately TSP does not even allow export of transactions to CSV.  I usually use screen shots to copy the information and then manually enter it.  Even more unfortunate, you have to choose between displaying shares or dollars!  So it takes 2 screen shots to get the information needed.  This is just TSP being archaic.  
    It is possible to work between separate windows: Quicken's Enter Investment Transactions and the TSP transaction display to copy & paste the necessary data.

(and by the way, don't blame the messanger with unhelpful ratings.  We are all just other users here.  @NotACPA is just summerizing past posts of user experiences.)

Quicken user since 1995
    Win11 Deluxe Subscription thru 2024

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jrich75 said:
    (and by the way, don't blame the messenger with unhelpful ratings.  We are all just other users here.  @NotACPA is just summarizing past posts of user experiences.)
    Actually, I'm reporting on my experience with my ex-wife's account at TSP ... and multiple, more recent,  past posts that have confirmed the same.

• Jim Hobin
    Jim Hobin Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have been downloading share prices from the TSP site in CSV format for a number of years. I create a macro that moves the data to the correct columns for Quicken ingest. This worked up until a week or so ago. Now it says there are "no valid prices found to import". I even tried to import file that previously worked and it gave me the same error. Wondering if they changed the import schema?
  • LocoMoco10
    LocoMoco10 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @"Jim Hobin" said:
    > I have been downloading share prices from the TSP site in CSV format for a number of years. I create a macro that moves the data to the correct columns for Quicken ingest. This worked up until a week or so ago. Now it says there are "no valid prices found to import". I even tried to import file that previously worked and it gave me the same error. Wondering if they changed the import schema?

I also would manually reconcile my TSP accounts (for years) but via the Update Share Balance feature. I created a kind of fake security symbol for each security (ie TSPC, TSPI, TSPS, etc.) This used to work but no longer seems to work either. It cannot find the my fake securities anymore. If it's not an official ticker symbol, it doesn't work. Help!

I really need to abandon Quicken...
    :(
  • LocoMoco10
    LocoMoco10 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @LocoMoco10 said:
    > > @Jim Hobin said:
    > > I have been downloading share prices from the TSP site in CSV format for a number of years. I create a macro that moves the data to the correct columns for Quicken ingest. This worked up until a week or so ago. Now it says there are "no valid prices found to import". I even tried to import file that previously worked and it gave me the same error. Wondering if they changed the import schema?
    >
    > I also would manually reconcile my TSP accounts (for years) but via the Update Share Balance feature. I created a kind of fake security symbol for each security (ie TSPC, TSPI, TSPS, etc.) This used to work but no longer seems to work either. It cannot find the my fake securities anymore. If it's not an official ticker symbol, it doesn't work. Help!
    >
    > I really need to abandon Quicken...
    > :(

Oops nvm, I figured it out. I think if you use the "401K Holding" feature then it asks you the Total Shares and Total Account value. I think from that the share price and portfolio values can be calculated. It's good enough for me.
This discussion has been closed.