Has anyone one else seen it where the X-Ray Portfolio won't allow picking any of your securities?

Chris_QPW
Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
Even though have never found it really to useful, I thought I would see if I could see how much overlap I have in underline securities between some mutual funds.  After getting basically nothing from with all securities selected I decided to selected individual ones.

Well to my surprise the only security types it seems to be showing is cash equivalents and indexes!

Note it is missing securities like VTI, PTY, PEP, JNJ, GIS, DIS, ...
Signature:
This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    I see the same issue from time to time. For me it seems that it forgets that All Accounts = All Accounts so the only securities that are shown and selectable are those that are in some subset of All Accounts. What always fixes it for me is to select "All Accounts" again and then I can see all the securities and select those I want from all the accounts. 

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    My experience is similar to @Boatnmaniac's - sometimes I must select the accounts and securities a few times to get the selections to "stick." Also don't forget to click on Refresh X-Ray if the date and time at the top are not current.

As a cross-check, I find it useful to scroll to the bottom of the Interpreter tab and make sure the top 10 holdings look correct.

Also remember that the X-Ray analysis only includes publicly traded securities that are in M*'s database. Collective trusts, stable value funds and the like are ignored.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    I see the same issue from time to time. For me it seems that it forgets that All Accounts = All Accounts so the only securities that are shown and selectable are those that are in some subset of All Accounts. What always fixes it for me is to select "All Accounts" again and then I can see all the securities and select those I want from all the accounts. 

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac That was it!

Thanks.
    Signature:
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    My experience is similar to @Boatnmaniac's - sometimes I must select the accounts and securities a few times to get the selections to "stick." Also don't forget to click on Refresh X-Ray if the date and time at the top are not current.

As a cross-check, I find it useful to scroll to the bottom of the Interpreter tab and make sure the top 10 holdings look correct.

Also remember that the X-Ray analysis only includes publicly traded securities that are in M*'s database. Collective trusts, stable value funds and the like are ignored.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Jim for helpful tips.
    Signature:
  • Scott Davis
    Scott Davis Member ✭✭
    None of my bonds are identified as bonds. For testing, I have selected only 1 bond. It is showing as cash.
  • Jim_Harman
    None of my bonds are identified as bonds. For testing, I have selected only 1 bond. It is showing as cash.
    That is because individual bonds are not included the Morningstar database. It doesn't matter what asset class you have assigned in Quicken, if Morningstar does not recognize the ticker the security is ignored. I think if you have the one bond selected and you scroll down to the bottom of the X-Ray interpreter, you will not see it listed among your top 10 holdings.
  • allen_car
    allen_car Member ✭✭
    The problem appears to be because the Quicken PROGRAM remembers the last X-Ray even if it is a different user file. When I switch from my personal Quicken file to the Trust file, the Trust X-Ray shows exactly the same percentages for the Asset Allocation and World Regions are displayed as with my personal file. It only corrects when I click refresh.

But even Refresh is not enough to correct the problem if you have added a Security or Account since the last time X-Ray was run. I ALWAYS go to the Securities drop down menu; select Custom, "Include Only Selected Securities", Select All, OK; and then Repeat With the "Include All Securities", OK. My actions are excessive but work for me. I basically keep making All Securities and Accounts selections and clicking Refresh until I don't get a change in the percentages.

I agree in general with Boatnmaniac and Jim's comments.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    allen_car said:
    The problem appears to be because the Quicken PROGRAM remembers the last X-Ray even if it is a different user file. When I switch from my personal Quicken file to the Trust file, the Trust X-Ray shows exactly the same percentages for the Asset Allocation and World Regions are displayed as with my personal file. It only corrects when I click refresh.

I would just add that to the list of problems.

I use X-Ray in only one data file and I can reproduce at least one of the problems like this.

Get X-Ray to display your information (I'm selecting All Accounts).
    Close the data file.
    Open Quicken and go to the X-Ray.  It will be displaying what it had before, so far so good.
    Now hit Refresh X-Ray and it will default to not showing any accounts and show 100% cash.
    Select All Accounts pulldown menu and don't change it, just select All Accounts and let it close.
    This will cause it to refresh and it will display the right information.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @allen_car
    BTW now that I think of it what you are seeing might fall into "it should be expected".  Most likely what they are submitting to Morningstar as your "username" is the Quicken Id.  As such it would be the same for both data files.  This is true of the Credit Score too.
    Signature:
  • allen_car
    allen_car Member ✭✭
    Using the Quicken ID for submitting the quarry to Morningstar could explain a lot. It does sound like that could be a security or privacy issue since each of these User Files are password protected and represent different tax entities. I started using quicken around 1990 and I am still learning things.