Adding a new account for a preferred stock

I added a new account for a preferred stock. The stock shows up in my Securities List but not in my Account List. The stock is a new issue and doesn't follow the regular preferred stock symbol format. The symbol is COFPL. It will later become COF.PL I think.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @billwoolf2

So, it sounds like you added this preferred stock to your "Security List" but I am not sure what you may have done with the account.  How do you hold this "preferred stock" - is it with a brokerage firm, or in a retirement plan, or is it held in some other way?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preferred stock should be added to quicken as a security, which I think you have done.  It should not show up in an account list because it it is not an account.  For it to be listed as a holding within an account, you need to have entered a BUY transaction or an ADD shares transaction.    The ticker symbol issue should not limit your ability to enter a buy or add shares transaction for the new security. You can manually enter a ticker symbol now and/or later via the edit security dialog.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @billwoolf2

So, it sounds like you added this preferred stock to your "Security List" but I am not sure what you may have done with the account.  How do you hold this "preferred stock" - is it with a brokerage firm, or in a retirement plan, or is it held in some other way?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    As mentioned - you will need to mimic the real brokerage Account - and BUY or at least ADD shares to the account.
    [EDIT] - also updated the topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• billwoolf2
    billwoolf2 Member ✭✭
    I found the answer to my problem. I had not entered the Account Name in the step where it said Add Account. I had skipped that page by accident. Thanks for your replys.
This discussion has been closed.