Split on existing transactions doesn't work?

Is this supposed to work ? It just doesn't work for me.
Use case:
1 - downloaded transactions into register
2 - change payee name on an existing transaction to one in the memorized list with --split -- and press enter or tab

No split is entered? How do I add a memorized split on an existing transaction or is it just not possible?

If i create a new entry in the register and choose this payee it works obviously.

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    AFAIK, you'd have to change the Payee Name to an entry in the MPL while you review a downloaded transaction and BEFORE you accept it into the register. Once accepted, changing the Payee Name does not pull in Splits from an MPL entry with the same name.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    AFAIK, you'd have to change the Payee Name to an entry in the MPL while you review a downloaded transaction and BEFORE you accept it into the register. Once accepted, changing the Payee Name does not pull in Splits from an MPL entry with the same name.
  • Tom_not_taken
    Tom_not_taken Member
    I think you might be right, it would appear i cannot revert a previously auto accepted transaction. Good to know it isn't me.

It seems the only work around then (or the process i will follow):
    1 - enter new transaction, select memorized payee with split, enter the number of the previous transaction
    2 - delete original downloaded transaction.

Far from ideal but you got to use the tools you have!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you can do is to turn off auto-accept downloaded transactions for this or all accounts (*)
    When you review downloaded NEW transactions click each one of them. That makes a new transaction appear in the last line of the register. Change to the desired Payee Name which gets the categories from the MPL entry, make other changes as needed, accept. Repeat for all other downloaded transactions.
    For transactions with complicated Splits, paychecks, transfers to pay credit cards, etc. that occur regularly use correctly named and categorized Scheduled Reminders. Record reminder a day of two before downloading matching bank transactions.

(*) Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?

There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:
     - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
     - For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.

• Tom_not_taken
    Tom_not_taken Member
    Thanks I will try this for my checking account that has my mortgages, i have changed that setting now. The auto catergorization never worked as the payee names were identical.

Thanks UKR! Great advice.