Split transaction Issues

kfc
kfc Member
When entering a split transaction comprising both withdrawals and deposits I have encountered an issue. If the the total is a positive integer (a net deposit) the split works fine. If it is a negative integer (a net withdrawal) Quicken adds a random number to balance itself which does not show on the register and does not assign the transactions appropriately.

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    "the categories don't end up correct"
    I don't know what that means. 
    Looking at your screen shot I'd expect a report would show an amount of $7,985.30 associated with a Category called "CareCredit Fresno Refund", an amount of $1,396.50 associated with another Category called "CareCredit Fresno Deposit" and $13,171.60 associated with Quicken's Category "Uncategorized Transactions."  I can't comment on the sign of these numbers since I don't know if the two Categories you created are considered "Income" or "Expense." 
    I will note that a positive $7,985.30 in the first Category and a negative $1,396.50 in the second Category works fine, with no "Quicken derived" balancing number needed.   What is the problem with entering it this way? 
    If you make a split entry for a deposit, then positive numbers in the split screen correspond with deposits and negative number correspond with withdrawals.  Split entries for withdrawals work the same way: positive numbers are outflows, negative numbers are inflows.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Assuming that you are talking about a net deposit of $6,588.80 you need to swap the signs on each of the split lines. Make line 1 positive and line 2 negative and the transaction will work.
    P.S.: For future reference please crop the image that you are about to post, to show only the relevant portion of the Quicken window and not the entire screen. MS Paint or any other image editor can do that for you.

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @kfc

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to share your issue. First, please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release that you are running.

What type of transaction is this split? What account is this in? Have you previously been able to enter this type of transaction successfully?

The more information you can provide the better able to assist the Community will be.

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • kfc
    kfc Member
    It is in a checking account funded by credit card sales. The credit card issuer will sometimes batch payments and refunds in one bulk transaction. The bank is BofA. This type of split (net withdrawal with entries of deposits and withdrawals) has never worked. I have set up a new account and tried again only to find that it is a quicken issue. I have validated the account as well.
  • Tom Young
    edited May 2021
    I don't have any problems with splitting transactions that are entered as payments/withdrawals:

Could it be a matter of the signs (positive/negative) that you're using in your splits?  Quicken will always try to get the mathematical sum of the entries to balance to the input, showing a number on an empty line beneath the Categories/Amounts already entered that makes the total balance to the entered amount.
  • kfc
    kfc Member
    The net number in the register is correct, but when running a report the categories don't end up correct
  • Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    "the categories don't end up correct"
    I don't know what that means. 
    Looking at your screen shot I'd expect a report would show an amount of $7,985.30 associated with a Category called "CareCredit Fresno Refund", an amount of $1,396.50 associated with another Category called "CareCredit Fresno Deposit" and $13,171.60 associated with Quicken's Category "Uncategorized Transactions."  I can't comment on the sign of these numbers since I don't know if the two Categories you created are considered "Income" or "Expense." 
    I will note that a positive $7,985.30 in the first Category and a negative $1,396.50 in the second Category works fine, with no "Quicken derived" balancing number needed.   What is the problem with entering it this way? 
    If you make a split entry for a deposit, then positive numbers in the split screen correspond with deposits and negative number correspond with withdrawals.  Split entries for withdrawals work the same way: positive numbers are outflows, negative numbers are inflows.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Assuming that you are talking about a net deposit of $6,588.80 you need to swap the signs on each of the split lines. Make line 1 positive and line 2 negative and the transaction will work.
    P.S.: For future reference please crop the image that you are about to post, to show only the relevant portion of the Quicken window and not the entire screen. MS Paint or any other image editor can do that for you.
  • kfc
    kfc Member
    perfect! Solved my issue, was not thinking about it in the right way thank you!
This discussion has been closed.