in income vs expense the transfer to investment account appear as an expense, not as a transfer

Options
wael656
wael656 Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
how to fix this problem" in income vs expense the transfer to investment account appear as an expense, not as a transfer"

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    As I said above, if you don't want to see any transfers in that report, customize the report to exclude them.  Click on "Customize" (gear wheel icon) at the top of the report, click on the "Advanced" tab and in that window, down at the bottom, you can select "Exclude all" transfers.
    Because it's an Income and Expense report ALL dollars are going to be reflected either in the Income or Expense section.  There's no ability to exclude that outbound transfer from expenses, show a true net income or expense figure and then, below that, have a line item that says "Transfer to Investment Account."
    You could export the Income and Expense report to Excel and do that there.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Options
    I assume your term "in income vs expense" referrers to some Spending report, like "Income and Expense by Category?"
    A transfer is not an income or an expense, it's the simple act of moving money from one account to a different account.  Accordingly, you wouldn't expect a transfer to show up at all in a report with the title "Income and Expense."  However, knowing that people frequently think in terms of "money out is an expense and money in is an income", the Quicken reports can be customized to show transfers in the Income sections of the reports - FROM {Name of Account} - or as expenses - TO {Name of Account}.  This ability is quite powerful since people frequently want to run reports only on a subset of all their Quicken Accounts and do want to show transfers to Accounts not included in the report as a form of "income" or "expense."
    You control how this all works by customizing the report and selecting one of the transfer options available under the "Advanced" tab and/or by clicking checking/unchecking Accounts under the "Accounts" tab and the "Categories" tab.
    If you don't want to show ANY transfers in your report simply select the "Exclude all" option under the Advanced tab.
  • wael656
    wael656 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you.
    would you mind helping me with what steps should I do?
    I transferred money to an investment account. and when I run the Income vs expense report by category interval by month
    this transaction is categorized as an expense with the name " to investment xxxxxx"
    my overall income vs expense for that month is negative as I spend money on investment which is not true it is just a transfer
    how can quicken unlist this out of expense and linked it to the transfer in the investment account
  • Tom Young
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    As I said above, if you don't want to see any transfers in that report, customize the report to exclude them.  Click on "Customize" (gear wheel icon) at the top of the report, click on the "Advanced" tab and in that window, down at the bottom, you can select "Exclude all" transfers.
    Because it's an Income and Expense report ALL dollars are going to be reflected either in the Income or Expense section.  There's no ability to exclude that outbound transfer from expenses, show a true net income or expense figure and then, below that, have a line item that says "Transfer to Investment Account."
    You could export the Income and Expense report to Excel and do that there.
  • wael656
    wael656 Member ✭✭
    Options
    This is very helpful, Thank you Tom
  • jpbmass
    jpbmass Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    The summary "income vs expense" report available to show on the Home tab does not include the "Advanced" tab in the customization area -- this means there no ability to exclude transfers from the graph. Also, when you elect to exclude transfers on the standard "income vs expense" report/graph, there is no way to save this preference and you have to go through the customization each time you view the graph.
  • Tom Young
    Options
    You're talking about the graph with vertical bar charts of income and expenses for each month?  I'd never run that so I put it on the home page and compared the amounts for the months shown to a comprehensive income and expense report by Categories and everything was correct with no transfers reported either in the chart or my report.  This was with all Accounts selected.
    "Also, when you elect to exclude transfers on the standard "income vs expense" report/graph, there is no way to save this preference and you have to go through the customization each time you view the graph.
    That's not necessary.  When you have the report customized the way you want it simply save the report using a meaningful name.
  • Jillavl
    Jillavl Member
    Options
    Hi. I, too, am trying to get money transferred into my checking account marked as a transfer, not income. I edited the report, went to the Advanced tab, clicked on "Exclude all" and saved it to a new report. I exited Quicken and went back into that new report but it was still there under Income. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @jillavl - 1) what is the same of the standard report you are attempting to use? 

2) when you state 'money transferred into my checking account', where is the money coming from? meaning what account? what transaction type are you using to reflect the transfer? Xout? 
This discussion has been closed.