delete Old file locations listed under menu Item FILE

Options
How can I clean up (Delete) old or no longer needed Quicken file locations listed when FILE is clicked on main menu.

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Tax4hire

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. If the file is deleted from windows you should be able to click on the file under the file tab you will get a prompt to remove the file from menu. I believe this is the menu you're talking about. If not let me know and we'll take another look.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Tax4hire

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. If the file is deleted from windows you should be able to click on the file under the file tab you will get a prompt to remove the file from menu. I believe this is the menu you're talking about. If not let me know and we'll take another look.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• clc2clc2
    clc2clc2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    This worked for the bottom 2 of the four listed.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    clc2clc2 said:
    This worked for the bottom 2 of the four listed.
    Note the keyword above is "deleted".  If the Quicken data file still exits it will not be removed when you click on it, it will open it.  If you want to retain the file, but get it off of the list, first rename the Quicken data file in Windows File Explorer, so that it doesn't exist where Quicken last opened it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How to remove obsolete File or Backup Path entries from Quicken Menus

New with Quicken Subscription (2018+):
    When selecting a file name from the bottom of the File Menu and the file cannot be found, you will get prompted for an action or if you want to remove the name from the file list.
    All Quicken versions:

You can eliminate incorrect or unused Quicken data file names or Backup Path names if you so desire.

But please be very, very careful when doing it and retain a "before image" backup copy of the .INI file you are about to edit.

Close Quicken.

Edit with Notepad or any other ASCII text editor the file
    "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\config\QUSER.INI"
    or "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\config\QUSER.INI" for older Quicken versions. Replace "username" in the path with your Windows account name.

In this file you will find lines looking similar to these:

• [RecentFiles]
    • 1=C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\test
    • 2=C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\UKR
    • 3=C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\UKR2005-2006
    • 4=C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\Ukr2004
    • [RecentBackupPaths]
    • BackupPath5=
    • BackupPath4=I:\Quicken Backup\
    • BackupPath3=E:\Quicken Backup\
    • BackupPath2=J:\Quicken Backup\
    • BackupPath1=H:\Quicken Backup\

Do NOT delete any lines from this file!

Just blank out the name portion after the '=' (equal sign).

[Recent Files] refers to your current "1=..." Quicken data file and 3 previously used ones.

Do not blank out "1=..." or Quicken will not know which file to start with.

[RecentBackupPaths] refers to your Manual Backup file paths, "BackupPath1=..." being the most recently used path name.

Save the changed file.

Start Quicken.

Review the results in the File menu for recent data files and/or the Manual Backup menu for Backup paths.