One-step updating of SEI accounts has disappeared. What do I do?

When I try to activate one-step update for my existing SEI accounts (existing in Quicken), Quicken acts as if I'm creating a new account from scratch.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    OK.  So, you are trying to connect to the correct SEI link for Direct Connect.  The other one only allows for Web Connect (manual downloading from the website).
    Usually when activating for download, during the set up process Quicken will prompt us to make a decision about what to do with the downloaded account file to either Add a new account, to Link to an existing account or to Ignore it.  You are not being given this prompt and it instead just starts to try adding a new account? 
    Maybe you could try activating the account again but this time go to Tools > Add Account to start the process and watch closely for that prompt.  If you see it, be sure to select Link and then select your existing SEI account in Quicken.
    If this still does not work, you could then try:
    1) Back up your data file in case something goes wrong.
    2) Be sure that all transactions in the SEI account register are Reconciled (marked with R).
    3) Account List > Edit (for the SEI account) > General tab > delete all Financial Institution information from the upper right quadrant > Online Services tab > Set up Now.
    4) Be sure to select Link and select the SEI account if given the prompt option.
    5) If successful, this set up process might add transactions into the account register that are duplicates of what is already there.  All transactions added to the account register will be marked C. 
    • Review the more recent dated transactions to see if there are any you want to keep in the register.  Mark those R.
    • All of the other C transactions will be duplicates that will need to be manually deleted.
    If you have a lot of duplicates to delete you could do a mass delete by doing the following:
    • Pull up the Banking Transaction report.
    • Customize the report to show only transactions for the SEI account, select all dates and select all securities.
    • Click on the Clr column header to sort the transactions by cleared status.
    • Scroll down to the 1st transaction with C status and left click on it to shade it.
    • Scroll down to the last transaction with C status and Shift+left click on it.  This will shade all transactions with C status.
    • Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions and left click on Delete Transaction(s).  This will delete all the transactions shaded (C) transactions in the report and in the account register.
    After deleting all the duplicates you will want to do:
    • Reconcile Shares to verify that what is in Quicken matches what SEI downloaded.  If they do not match you will be shown what the difference(s) are.
    • Click on the blue underlined Cash Balance below the register on the right side.  This will let you know if the cash balance of the account in Quicken matches what was downloaded by SEI.
    If the shares and cash balances correlate then you are done.  If not, then you will need to correct the discrepancies.
    Did any of this resolve your connection issue with SEI?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Which SEI link are you trying to activate for OSU? SEI - AccessMyPortfolio.com or SEI - SEIClientConnect.com?
    Have these accounts previously been set up for download via OSU or are you attempting to set them up for OSU for the first time?
    If they have previously been set up for download via OSU, go to Tools > Account List.  What does it show in the Transactions Download column for those accounts?

• younger_hibbard
    younger_hibbard Member ✭✭
    Am trying "SEI-AccessMyPortfolio.com".
    They were previously setup for download.
    When I go to "Tools>Account List" it shows in that column "Activate download". But when I click on that link, it acts as if I was setting up the account for the first time - asking me what I want to call the account (it already exists, it already has a name).
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    OK.  So, you are trying to connect to the correct SEI link for Direct Connect.  The other one only allows for Web Connect (manual downloading from the website).
    Usually when activating for download, during the set up process Quicken will prompt us to make a decision about what to do with the downloaded account file to either Add a new account, to Link to an existing account or to Ignore it.  You are not being given this prompt and it instead just starts to try adding a new account? 
    Maybe you could try activating the account again but this time go to Tools > Add Account to start the process and watch closely for that prompt.  If you see it, be sure to select Link and then select your existing SEI account in Quicken.
    If this still does not work, you could then try:
    1) Back up your data file in case something goes wrong.
    2) Be sure that all transactions in the SEI account register are Reconciled (marked with R).
    3) Account List > Edit (for the SEI account) > General tab > delete all Financial Institution information from the upper right quadrant > Online Services tab > Set up Now.
    4) Be sure to select Link and select the SEI account if given the prompt option.
    5) If successful, this set up process might add transactions into the account register that are duplicates of what is already there.  All transactions added to the account register will be marked C. 
    • Review the more recent dated transactions to see if there are any you want to keep in the register.  Mark those R.
    • All of the other C transactions will be duplicates that will need to be manually deleted.
    If you have a lot of duplicates to delete you could do a mass delete by doing the following:
    • Pull up the Banking Transaction report.
    • Customize the report to show only transactions for the SEI account, select all dates and select all securities.
    • Click on the Clr column header to sort the transactions by cleared status.
    • Scroll down to the 1st transaction with C status and left click on it to shade it.
    • Scroll down to the last transaction with C status and Shift+left click on it.  This will shade all transactions with C status.
    • Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions and left click on Delete Transaction(s).  This will delete all the transactions shaded (C) transactions in the report and in the account register.
    After deleting all the duplicates you will want to do:
    • Reconcile Shares to verify that what is in Quicken matches what SEI downloaded.  If they do not match you will be shown what the difference(s) are.
    • Click on the blue underlined Cash Balance below the register on the right side.  This will let you know if the cash balance of the account in Quicken matches what was downloaded by SEI.
    If the shares and cash balances correlate then you are done.  If not, then you will need to correct the discrepancies.
    Did any of this resolve your connection issue with SEI?

• younger_hibbard
    younger_hibbard Member ✭✭
    I ended up choosing "Add New Accounts" under Tools, specified SEI, and it showed me the accounts it found at SEI - and offered me the choice to link them to existing Quicken accounts. That worked - it downloaded into the existing accounts.

Thanks for your help!
  • Boatnmaniac
    You are welcome.  I'm glad I could be of assistance.