Downloading Transactions from US Bank

When downloading transactions from US Bank, Pending bank transactions are downloaded to my register. This has just recently started. Is this a bank or a Quicken issue?

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @rwmol

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. This is not something that Quicken normally supports with pending transactions being added to the register so I'm wondering what exactly is causing the issue. Additionally it may be worth seeing if we're able to replicate the issue in a test file as well as that may give us some extra information on the issue. I'll leave steps down below and you can find it on the third step on the article.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Once you get the chance let us know what you're able to find out. From there we'll see what we're able to do next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rwmol - I have not been seeing any pending transactions being downloaded from USB in any of my 3 checking accounts.  in fact I do not recall ever seeing pending transactions get downloaded into Quicken from any bank.  Have you logged into your online USB account to confirm that what was downloaded is indeed a pending transaction?
    If USB is not actually downloading pending transactions then it might be that what you are seeing is an EWC timing issue where posted transactions are getting downloaded but the online balance in Quicken is not also being updated.  When this happens, reconciling to online balance cannot be completed.  This issue will self resolve after the next OSU run provided it is done later...at least 12 hrs later and perhaps as long as 24 hrs later.
    It's a timing issue because of how and when EWC gets transactions and balance updates from the bank. 
    • EWC connections are typically done at night. 
    • Banks typically update their main servers with the day's transactions at night.
    • If that EWC connection is done before the bank completes their server updates, then no new transactions and online balance data will download that day but they will download the next day...no issue other than a 1 day delay in getting all the data downloaded.
    • If that EWC connection is done after the bank completes their server updates, then the previous day's transactions and online balance will download...no issue.
    • But if that EWC connection is done after the bank completes some of their server updating but not all of it, then what gets downloaded to Quicken will be a mix of data.  Typically the posted transactions will download but the online balance will not....hence, the timing issue.
    If this is what you are seeing, the only thing you can do if you want to continue using EWC is to try running OSU again at least 12-24 hrs later when the new online balance will get downloaded and then reconciliation can be completed.
    Another option would be to discontinue using EWC (i.e., discontinue including USB in OSU) and instead use WC (manually download from your online account in QFX format).
    As an FYI:  Just in the last few days USB updated their website with a new look. It is possible that they also changed the timing/sequence of the end of day server updates.  It could also be that the aggregator changed the time of when it does the EWC connection with USB.  Either one of these things could be the reason why you did not see this issue before but you now are.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• rwmol
    rwmol Member ✭✭✭
    Boatnmaniac. Thanks for your lengthy post. This just started yesterday. I download my transactions daily. Unfortunately I can't provide you a screenshot because I corrected this morning's download. This unusual issue is as follows: I will download the transactions from the bank and a single transaction appears that matches a transaction in my register. The transaction in my register was from a scheduled transaction. The strange thing is, the downloaded transaction matches the register transaction except for lacking the check number. But, the downloaded transaction is shown as "new" and not "matched". If I accept the transaction, it is added to my register then the rest of the downloaded transactions from the bank suddenly appear. I simply delete the transaction downloaded/added to my register and mark the original transaction as reconciled.

When the transaction appeared I immediately went to my account at US Bank. The transaction was shown as Pending.

Something else is new. I am now experiencing crashes. I've never had those before. and Quicken seems unstable. A lot of flickering from the mouse pointer when first opened.

I did do a validation today with no errors.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @rwmol

Thanks for the update. I'm wondering here if we might have some issues with the flickering due to the latest patch. One thing we can attempt here is a mondo patch to see if that may help us with that issue here. I'll leave instructions down below on how to do so.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Once you've had a chance let us know if you're able to get your update working without the flickering.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any Pending transactions being  downloaded into my USB accounts either.
    I have very few transactions in the 2 checking accounts, but there ARE  "Pending" transactions (AKA "Authorizations) in my credit card account.
    I'm running BUILD 27.2.32.12 and connecting to USB via Direct Connect.
    To see what BUILD of Q you're running do HELP, About Quicken.
    And if you're unsure about the connection type, do TOOLS, Account List and look in the "Transactions Download" column adjacent to your USB accounts.
    Direct Connect from USB costs $3.95, but I found their implementation of "Express Web Connect" to be so flaky that I consider the fee to be WELL worth the cost.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• rwmol
    rwmol Member ✭✭✭
    NotACPA
    Thanks for the reply. I'm using Direct Connect and get the $3.95 charge monthly. I'm using Version R33.19 and Build 27.1.33.19. I ran the most recent Mondo Patch with no results. I ran an update this morning and made snipits of both my Quicken register and my US Bank account. You will see the downloaded transaction that says "new" yet it matches the transaction in the register. Also, in the US Bank account the same transaction shows pending. No idea what's going on here.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Clearly in this case US Bank is sending pending transactions (their fault not Quicken's).

Then there is why isn't Quicken matching the transaction since the amount/date and even the payee match.
    My guess would be the check number.  As in the pending transaction downloaded doesn't have the check number, and the one in the register does, but even that seem strange.

As a test I would temporarily remove the check number from the one in the register and see if that gets it to match.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rwmol
    rwmol Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW
    Thanks for the reply. I removed the check number and saved it. The uploaded transaction still didn't show "Match". The only fix is to Accept the transaction then Delete it. It clears the following day.
  • Boatnmaniac
    rwmol said:
    Chris_QPW
    Thanks for the reply. I removed the check number and saved it. The uploaded transaction still didn't show "Match". The only fix is to Accept the transaction then Delete it. It clears the following day.
    Out of curiosity, did you try to manually match the pending transaction to the transaction in the register?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    rwmol said:
    Chris_QPW
    Out of curiosity, did you try to manually match the pending transaction to the transaction in the register?
    That is impossible.  Starting with Quicken Subscription the QIF import no longer processes anything for the import, the transactions go directly into the register.  Not only can you not match, the renaming rules and the use of the memorized payees to select a category don't get processed.

But QIF format is different from QFX/OFX in that it can have the category already in the downloaded transaction.  So given an Excel/CSV file with a column that has the desired category in it, that can be mapped to the category field in the QIF transaction, and that will import right onto Quicken's transactions.

Note that as a workaround for the no renaming rules/memorized payee processing ImportQIF does have its own mapping of payees (renaming form one to another) and mapping of categories (adding a category to the transaction based on the payee).  But there isn't any workaround matching existing transactions (well there is one for transfers that @splasher came up with, because for some strange reason the one thing that Quicken Subscription still processes with QIF imports is transfer detection.)

To get matching to existing transactions you have either have Quicken 2017 or below, or switch to a QFX format.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW the "go directly into the register" isn't "automatic transaction entry mode".

With automatic transaction entry mode when you import the transactions their is a status field that will be New or New Match for the transactions you just downloaded/imported.  From there you can review them and match sure they are correct, before marking them reviewed.

With a QIF import there isn't any status set, they just go right into the register and about the only way you would know that they are new is looking at the Clr column.
    Signature:
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited May 2021
    Chris_QPW said:
    rwmol said:
    Chris_QPW
    That is impossible.  Starting with Quicken Subscription the QIF import no longer processes anything for the import, the transactions go directly into the register.  Not only can you not match, the renaming rules and the use of the memorized payees to select a category don't get processed.

But QIF format is different from QFX/OFX in that it can have the category already in the downloaded transaction.  So given an Excel/CSV file with a column that has the desired category in it, that can be mapped to the category field in the QIF transaction, and that will import right onto Quicken's transactions.

Note that as a workaround for the no renaming rules/memorized payee processing ImportQIF does have its own mapping of payees (renaming form one to another) and mapping of categories (adding a category to the transaction based on the payee).  But there isn't any workaround matching existing transactions (well there is one for transfers that @splasher came up with, because for some strange reason the one thing that Quicken Subscription still processes with QIF imports is transfer detection.)

To get matching to existing transactions you have either have Quicken 2017 or below, or switch to a QFX format.
    QIF import?  I saw the OP mention the set up is with DC and I assumed the download was via that.  Was my assumption wrong?

• rwmol
    rwmol Member ✭✭✭
    I want to mention again that after I do my update and enter missing categories I do another update so the Mobile App reflects the correct information. When I do the second update I see flickering and an hourglass for maybe 15 to 20 seconds. If I backup during that period, Quicken crashes. If I wait the 15-20 seconds and do my backup, it backups fine.