Quicken running too slow

Hi, I've been using Quicken Canada for many years - I love it. However, it's really slowed down lately, particularly when updating Investment accounts (seems to be okay when updated Bank accounts). I suspect the file is too large at 170 Mbytes. Would you recommend I archive older transactions? If I do, will the Cost Basis of my investments be maintained correctly? (I am running Quicken Canada R32.10, Windows 64 bit o/s. The PC is has 16GB of RAM, running an i5-760 2.8GHz processor (yeah, a bit old), 2TByte hard drive, 12% utilized. All my other apps seem okay.)

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Phil,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and for posting such thorough details.

If you have not done so already, I would recommend taking a moment to review the steps and information available here.

Please let me know the results of the steps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Phil (YVR)
    Phil (YVR) Member
    Hi Tyka, thanks for the link. It's taken me a while, but I got through everything on the list, and it hasn't improved the performance. If anything, in the three months since I posted, Quicken has gotten slower.

Status on each step:

1. System meets/exceeds the requirements.
    2. Optimized computer performance, though no other programs were running slowly. Defrag found no fragmented files, so it had nothing it could do.
    3. Copied and validated the file; it came back clean.

I noticed that Quicken slowed down back in April right after I transferred shares of stock from one investment account to another. As part of the transfer, Quicken created a couple hundred new entries in the destination account - one entry for each of the entries in the original account, presumably to maintain the integrity of the cost basis calculations. I feel the issue has to be connected to this somehow.

FYI, as mentioned, the file is 170 MBytes; it has 20,000+ banking transactions, and 6,000+ investment transactions.

I feel like I need to someone archive most of the investment transactions to restore performance, but this will throw off my cost basis calculations.

Thoughts?
    Phil
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @Phil (YVR) 

Thank you for posting back with the results, although I'm sorry to hear that the performance issues are persisting.

May I ask, in the article link provided by Tyka above, did you happen to go through the section on "If your data file has a long investment history" under the Other Scenarios?  This section does go over the steps to archive your investment transactions.

However, I first wanted to check if you selected any of the options in the Validate & Repair window to Rebuild the Investing lots or Correct investing price history?

With all of the stock share transfers mentioned above, I'm wondering if the price or lot history became corrupted during the move, causing the performance issues.

If you haven't already, please perform another Validate & Repair, this time selecting only the options to Rebuild the investing lots and Correct investing price history > Repair.

Once the validation completes, please close and re-open Quicken and let us know if this has any affect on the performance.

Thanks again,

Sarah