REQUEST: Can we get STANDARDIZED Report Formats

Ken45140
Ken45140 Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in Reports (Windows)
As one who needs to make changes to some reports by copying into Excel, I am frustrated by the change in the formatting of at least two reports that cause lots of extra work, unnecessarily.

Specific example: many reports (Budget Report, Spending by Category) have Sub Totals for Major Categories shown at the top of the grouping. Example: House expenses, made up of House:Repairs, House:Utilities, House:Security, with the subtotal for House ABOVE the totals for the 3 sub-categories which make up House expenses.

But then, the report for Current Spending vs Average Spending by Category has the Total BELOW the totals for the sub-categories.

As I use various Excel macro modules to do various things, I need to have special programming for each Report Format variation. What a pain.

I suspect that this outcome has resulted from various different Quicken programmers putting the output placement where they thought it "looked good" rather than trying to "STANDARDIZE" this particular report output. ie, "Put all subtotals of grouped Categories BELOW the lines for each sub-category" could be an example principle.

One obvious reason for putting the Group Total ABOVE the sub-category totals is to allow collapsing the sub-categories, just leaving the Group totals visible. So why not do it the same in all reports?

Probably not many who read this will be interested, but it would be great for those of us who wish to modify reports in Excel to see STANDARDIZED reports.

Thanks for listening.
Ken
8 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• RTG
    RTG Member ✭✭
    +1 for this. Also, I would like to choose the default folder location for export to Excel
  • Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member ✭✭✭✭
    +1 more. How about making the location of the Group Total a configurable option, for all reports.
    Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered.

I noticed that there are more comments than added votes.

Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

Ideas are reviewed by our development team to see what people would like to be available in the future.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 more. How about making the location of the Group Total a configurable option, for all reports.
    "all reports" -> "each report". I would like to configure this separately for each individual report.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team
    -Quicken Anja
  • FlyerFran
    FlyerFran Windows Beta Beta
    I export multiple reports to Excel on a regular basis.  Each and every time, formatting those reports takes a lot of time.  I would love to customize in quicken before exporting, but for sure having standarized reports In Q' would make exporting easier.  I voted this up, because i would use it all the time. 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FlyerFran said:
    I export multiple reports to Excel on a regular basis.  Each and every time, formatting those reports takes a lot of time.  I would love to customize in quicken before exporting, but for sure having standarized reports In Q' would make exporting easier.  I voted this up, because i would use it all the time. 
    FWIW:  My preference is to export to Excel via the clipboard.  When pasting into Excel, the preset Excel formatting is maintained (column widths, fonts, colors, etc.).  So as long as the basic report information is falling into the correct cells, no other formatting is necessary.