Default to pay in full?

Bob.
Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
Hi folks,

I swear that I ALWAYS had Quicken defaulting to the full amount due of any and all bills. In the last month, all are defaulting to the minimum due. And I can't find a setting to change that.

Something change? And how to I get a global default to paying the full bill?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    OK, going to confirm my findings.

When an online bill comes in and is for more (not sure how much more is required) than the minimum due, right clicking brings up an option to default to full or minimum for that bill and it is sticky. SO its well hidden, but there.

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Bob.

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. There is no global option to select which of the payment amounts it defaults to. I believe you're correct that it normally does default to the full amount but have seen cases where it differs. Is this the first time you've seen this happen? If so I would recommend waiting a bit to see if the bills have the same ordering as well next time. 

If you have any other issues right now with paying the biller let us know as well.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Francisco. I have never previously had to change an Enter payment from $35 to the full amount until, perhaps, late April. Now every credit card bill when entered shows the minimum rather than the full amount and I must manually change that. Something has changed in Quicken.

I DO want to see the full amounts always.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK, regardless of what has changed and that there is no GLOBAL setting, how do I change EACH credit card to always default to the full amount due? Cannot find that setting as well.

Thanks.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Bob.,
    Bob. said:
    OK, regardless of what has changed and that there is no GLOBAL setting, how do I change EACH credit card to always default to the full amount due? Cannot find that setting as well.
    Unfortunately, there currently is no existing setting available for this.

If you wish to make a request to have this feature added in the future, then I suggest that you create an idea post and add your vote. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea.

Our Development and Product teams frequently use our idea posts in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers. 

I apologize for not having better news to share with you and any inconvenience this may cause, though I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Bob. said:

Thanks.
    For manual bills, you can set each credit card reminder to display "Current credit card balance" by editing "this instance and all future instances" for the particular bill reminder.  See image below.  Is this what you mean by "full amount due"? 

I have not experienced a change in this setting recently and it is how I have always viewed my credit card reminders.   I cant speak about how this works with Quicken's bill pay however.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks both, but I am sure something changed as I always defaulted to full. The change to minimum is recent, at least for me and I did nothing to elect the change.

This is for Online Bills, not manual Scooterlam. I see no setting in the online bill nor the reminder to make the change. I tend to recall it might have been in the reminder at one time.

Now, I poked around and  found something new to me and odd. AFTER an Online Bill has been paid, the dropdown menu at PAY or ENTER contains "Default to total amount due". Have never seen that before. And it only appears after I make (ENTER) the current payment! Not there for anything awaiting the next payment, but there for scheduled (entered) but not yet paid. And I do not use Quicken Bill Pay, but rather through my bank and have for 20 years.

I am unable to capture a screen shot of this. Guess I have to try it. This is 27.1.32.12
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK, now this is ONLY for Online Bills scheduled to be paid but not yet paid as best I can tell. I have changed this one to default to total. The menu shows it to be toggleable. Any bill already cleared does not show the option. At least for me.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. My Amex bill came in today and that did NOT have the option either before or after scheduling the online bill to be paid. So it is not consistent. Citi and Chase DID have the option. Seems there should be another way to set this, and that there was at one time.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    OK, going to confirm my findings.

When an online bill comes in and is for more (not sure how much more is required) than the minimum due, right clicking brings up an option to default to full or minimum for that bill and it is sticky. SO its well hidden, but there.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2cents' worth, if I may:
    I don't use Bill Pay / Bill Manager at all, neither the one from Quicken nor the one offered by my bank.
    And I always pay my credit card bills in full.

Since time "B.I." (before the Internet was invented) I have set up almost all of my recurring payments as Direct Debit, PAC Draft, Autopay, APS, whatever the biller calls it. I simply authorized the biller to electronically debit the payment directly from my checking account on due date, sit back, relax and wait for it to happen.

When I get notified of a new statement having arrived, usually by email, all I have to do in Quicken is to run a regular (non-BillPay) scheduled reminder to record the transaction. Haven't missed a payment in many years.

This discussion has been closed.