Improvements Needed to Searching with Multi Splits (Q Mac)

Options
Richard Kennedy
Richard Kennedy Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Display/UI
I am using Quicken Premier for Mac Version 7.0.0 (Build 700.48698.100) under macOS 13.3.1.

I often have dozens and dozens of splits in a single transaction. When I search for certain text in an account, only the top level transaction is listed. This then requires manual searching through the splits to find the required text.

The text search for should be easier to find when a transaction has multiple splits. The searched for text could be bolded or colored.
9 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• FredMac
    FredMac Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

If you are in a register, and in the search you type a category name, it works great except for split transactions. For example if I search for the category "medical expense", and have a split transaction ($60.00 food, $20 medical expense) it will show the transaction, but the amount is $80.00. It would be more accurate to show $20.00 and the amount.

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello All,

This idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of user votes/comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

[Merged Post]

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2023
    Options

This is actually a significant shortcoming in Quicken Mac. This is another case where the subject line of this post has probably not helped users who would want this feature to find it. There are multiple posts in the forum seeking this functionality, such as

here

and

here

This is one of several key revamps to splits which Quicken developers ought to implement, in my opinion. Being able to search and replace without excluding split transactions is another. Being able to optionally combine splits in reports (where they are split apart-- the opposite of the issue in this thread) is a third. Making the split window match the columns which are shown/hidden, in the same order and width as the main register, is a fourth. But this idea should definitely be kept alive, perhaps with a better subject line.

[Merged Post]

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Out of curiosity … why do you "have dozens and dozens of splits in a single transaction"?
    What's the reason for that? Are you perhaps recording all your monthly credit card charges as a lengthy split in the credit card payment transaction in your checking account? If so, there's an easier way to do that …

• Richard Kennedy
    Richard Kennedy Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    No, I often purchase up to one hundred books from a single vendor with a single payment. The notes for each split contains the price paid for each book and the notes contain the book's title, ISBN number, etc. I need to retain this information for each book. The current search doesn't allow me to go directly to the split item.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

This might be more work than you'll want to do, but I'll throw this out as a possible solution…

Create an Asset account using the name of the vendor. Instead of recording one purchase with dozens of splits, record each book as its own transaction. It's not a lot more work because you're already entering the memo and price for each one (and you can save a QuickFill rule for the Payee to auto-fill just the category). Then record the payment in your checking account or credit card account as a simple transaction — no spits — which is a Transfer to the asset account for the entire amount of the purchase. The asset account will always be zero after you enter the purchases and the payment, because the expenses are offset by the transfer from the payment. Your expense reports will be accurate, and now a search will lead you directly to the book transaction you're looking for.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

This is actually not a new idea but really another way of presenting the same idea of being able to isolate only the split lines when performing a search, as in when one wants only a total of the searched for split lines.

So, maybe this should be merged with that idea thread?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)