Using Quicken on the web to sync two desktop computers

Options
Compass_Q
Compass_Q Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Using Quicken on the Web
I have had issues using Backup and Restore to move Quicken between two desktop computers, home and office.. sometimes the file gets corrupted. Would Quicken on the Web be a more reliable solution? Perhaps even using Quicken in a Browser would be a solution, but what is the user experience like?

Best Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sorry, but NOPE, that won't work.
    The Q Cloud doesn't contain a full complement of the Q data file on your desktop.
    HOW is the backup and restore process getting corrupted.  What happens? Perhaps we can address that angle.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Backup to a USB drive on  one computer and then RESTORE to the other computer using that USB drive.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sorry, but NOPE, that won't work.
    The Q Cloud doesn't contain a full complement of the Q data file on your desktop.
    HOW is the backup and restore process getting corrupted.  What happens? Perhaps we can address that angle.

• Compass_Q
    Compass_Q Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks so much for the response. My Understanding it that moving QDF files between Computers is not recommended. I had a major issue at one time by using Dropbox.. I ended up having to reconstruct a lot of data from various back-ups. I have successfully transferred just using a jump drive, but had read somewhere on this site that is not recommended either. I just want to establish the most reliable procedure possible, as it represents years of work and is integral to my business...
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Compass_Q said: I have had issues using Backup and Restore to move Quicken between two desktop computers, home and office.. sometimes the file gets corrupted.
    NO - the Quicken Cloud only has a subset of selected data.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-cloud
    Exactly what steps are you doing to get a copy or backup copy of the QDF file moved back and forth ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Backup to a USB drive on  one computer and then RESTORE to the other computer using that USB drive.

• Compass_Q
    Compass_Q Member ✭✭
    Options
    That's how I have been doing it, lately.. One of the Quicken Tech Folks recommended dragging the QDF from the Jump Drive to the desktop prior to restoring it- so I will continue doing it that way.. sure would be nice if I could just be open the computer and be right up to speed...
    Thanks again!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IMHO, the most important part of not getting a corrupted file is to make sure that you are NOT unplugging the USB stick until after you have performed the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" function and received the safe-to-remove confirmation. This ensures that all data records, folder and FAT/NTFS updates have been written to the device and confirmed complete.
    Usually there's an icon for this function in the right portion of the Taskbar.
  • Compass_Q
    Compass_Q Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm aware of that.. but certainly a good point. I think most of my issues were due to using Dropbox. Good to know that Quicken on the Web is not a viable solution.. I'll just use a freshly formatted Jump Drive, Move the file to the Desktop and be careful!
    Thanks All...
This discussion has been closed.