Multiple chase credit cards

Quicken is trying to offset a debit in checking with a payment in the card account with a 100% chance of doing it in the wrong CC account. I am OK with just turning off this feature rather than trying to make it work.

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Here is the setting for "Transfer detection":
    Edit -> Preferences

You can either turn it off completely or set it to confirm so that you can just cancel the wrong guesses.  And yes this just a guess based on seeing the same amount as a deposit and a withdraw in two different accounts on about the same date.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date. Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the downloading process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the process should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

Manually review all downloaded transactions, one by one. Select the downloaded transaction, review the register transaction it will be matched to or the new transaction that is about to be created. Make changes as needed to Payee Name, Category, Memo, etc. and then click Accept for the single transaction. "Shampoo, rinse, repeat" for all remaining downloaded transactions.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks @UKR I should have mentioned that.  When the best thing that you can get out of Quicken is a "guess" then the best thing to do is find a way to avoid letting it guess.  There isn't any way Quicken can "know for certain" if a given transaction is a transfer of or not and from where to where.  So as @UKR said the best policy is to take the guess work out and pre-enter transfers.  For transfers like my credit card payments that are at a regular basis I use a reminder.
    Signature:

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Here is the setting for "Transfer detection":
    Edit -> Preferences

You can either turn it off completely or set it to confirm so that you can just cancel the wrong guesses.  And yes this just a guess based on seeing the same amount as a deposit and a withdraw in two different accounts on about the same date.
    Signature:
  • W G Harbuck
    W G Harbuck Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the help. I already had it set like that. It shows you the checking transaction but for some reason it does not show you the CC transaction in the register for that CC (or maybe I am missing it somehow) so I only discover by noticing odd totals on the register summary
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You might be talking about something else like a reminder or how you have entered it.
    Transfer detection happens only after the downloading of transactions, and only for transactions that don't already have the category set to a transfer (the category being [Other Account]).

The way it works is you have downloaded for two accounts on the second account it sees a downloaded transaction for say a deposit for $100.00.  In the other account the is a downloaded withdraw for $100.00 about the same date.  With confirm on it will popup a dialog asking you if it is a transfer.  If you say yes, it will change those two transactions into one transfer.  If you say no, it will leave both transactions alone.  If you have confirm off it will assume it is a transfer and link it up without asking.
    Signature:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date. Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the downloading process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the process should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

Manually review all downloaded transactions, one by one. Select the downloaded transaction, review the register transaction it will be matched to or the new transaction that is about to be created. Make changes as needed to Payee Name, Category, Memo, etc. and then click Accept for the single transaction. "Shampoo, rinse, repeat" for all remaining downloaded transactions.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks @UKR I should have mentioned that.  When the best thing that you can get out of Quicken is a "guess" then the best thing to do is find a way to avoid letting it guess.  There isn't any way Quicken can "know for certain" if a given transaction is a transfer of or not and from where to where.  So as @UKR said the best policy is to take the guess work out and pre-enter transfers.  For transfers like my credit card payments that are at a regular basis I use a reminder.
    Signature:
  • W G Harbuck
    W G Harbuck Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. You caused me to take the 45 seconds required to figure out how the feature works and now I have it properly implemented.