Quicken doesn't change entries from cleared to reconciled after reconciling account

Using Quicken for Windows R33.22. I reconcile most of my accounts to their online balances. However, over the past week or so, when reconciling accounts, items that were marked cleared after downloading the transaction from my bank or credit card, Quicken leaves the transaction as cleared and does not designate the entry item as reconciled. Did something change?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22
    Is this something that is affecting accounts set up with EWC?
    If so, it is likely a timing issue between when Quicken contacts the financial institutions (usually at night) to get the transactions and online balance data for downloads and when the financial institutions (FIs) completes updating their servers with the previous day's transactions.  For instance, if Quicken contacts the FI at 2:00 a.m. and:
    • If the FI completes their server updates before that:  Then there is no timing issue and reconciliation can be done to online balance without issue because the transactions downloaded and the online balance downloaded will both reflect the prior day's ending balance.
    • If the FI has not started their server updates before that:  Then there is no timing issue but the transactions and online balance that is downloaded are from 2 days prior, not from the prior night.
    • If the FI has started their server updates but has not completed them:  There can be a timing issue when what gets downloaded are the transactions from the prior day but the online balance that is downloaded has not yet been updated with the prior day's ending balance.  So, the transactions get entered into the register with a C status but reconciliation cannot be completed to the online balance because that has not yet been updated.
    Has something changed?  Probably.  Either the FI changed when it completes its server updates and/or the aggregator changed when it connects with the FI to get the data for EWC downloads, neither of which we have any control over. 
    This issue usually self resolves within 12-24 hrs so the solution is to run OSU, again, later at night and/or the next morning. 
    About the only thing we can do to avoid having this issue is to stop using EWC with the FIs that this timing issue happens with or revert to reconciling our accounts manually instead of to the online balance.
    It usually is not an issue with DC (not available with all FIs and not always free) and WC (a great option for those who want to do manual downloads instead of OSU). 
    I have three EWC accounts that experience this timing issue:  Fidelity Visa, Kohl's credit card and Sears Mastercard.  The nice thing is that it does not happen with every OSU download but it is frustrating.
    If this issue is instead happening with DC or WC or if it is not self-resolving by the next day, then there might be some other issue.  Be sure to post back here if this is not an EWC issue.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R35.31 on Windows 10)
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Moderator mod

Hello @roninct

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your reconcile. That is odd. Did this start recently with the recent update potentially? It sounds like a possibility so one thing we can attempt here is a Mondo patch to see if we're able to get your transactions properly sorted. I'll leave steps down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Once you get a chance to try these steps, please let us know what you find.  From there we'll better understand our next steps.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco