Why do I see two very different AAR numbers for the same account in Quicken?

In Quicken, I'm seeing two different Average Annual Return numbers for the same investment account I have. I'm confused about which number is the correct one. I have attached screenshots below.

The first AAR number appears in the tab Investing -> Performance, on the bottom of the screen there is an Average Annual Return panel. It shows that my account's 1-year AAR is 34.43%.

The second AAR number appears in the Security Performance view. The same account's 1-year AAR is -10.25%. All the securities held in this account are listed in this view as having positive ARR, so I don't understand how the account total can be negative.

I have attached screenshots of the two screens, with the account in question denoted as "Account 1".

Thank you for your help!

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see your "View 1" when I click on INVESTING tab > Performance and look at the bottom of the screen but I'm not sure what keystrokes to use to come up with your "View 2."  I can get something similar to View 2 by clicking on INVESTING tab > Portfolio and selecting "Historic Performance" in the "Show" box, but not your View 2.  Keystrokes?  And we're talking "Windows" Quicken here?  (In pawing through the INVESTING tab screens I'm seeing those being consistent from screen to screen.)
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like something is wrong with both account level calculations, because all of the securities have an AAR of +36.7 or more and the number for each account is lower than that. 

For an accurate account level calculation, it is important that "No security (includes cash)" is checked in the securities selection.

How do you access your View 2, titled Security Performance?

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK.  So I see you starting with the Investing / Performance tab to get the first view at the account level.

I see you then clicking the gear icon for that table to get the Security Performance view presenting different values.  In my quick-check case, the same values appears.   

Seems to me that the first section can behave a bit flaky.  You may have All Accounts / All Securities selected, but the presentation does not always get updated to that.  I suggest you toggle those two setting at the top of the Performance tab and see f that changes anything.  

Your Security Performance view does appear to be a version of a portfolio view.  You may want to attack it from that side to see if some account or security settings are being missed.  I do believe that view for the account is not a simple 'sum' using the listed securities.  If somehow you had a significant holding that was removed from the account with no return, that might explain the account level negative with the holdings all being strong positive performance.  So there may be some type of glitch in your transactions for that account.  Placeholders maybe?  
  • PotatoPea
    PotatoPea Member ✭✭
    Thank you for all your help! I closed and relaunched Quicken and the problem was fix. The negative average annual return value was actually the return of a single security in the account, but the return was for some mysterious reason displayed as the account level return. After relaunching the software it fixed itself somehow. A very strange bug.